The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question, but, I have some pretty thick Algae on my back glass wall...very bright green. I have been trying to scrape it off a little at a time, but it is pretty tough. My snails don't seem to make a dent in it...actually they leave a pretty cool trail through it as their shell cuts through it.

Question is, what can I do to get rid of it, short of scraping like a madman in the tank? If I have to scrape, what is the bet tool, the scraper I have is ok, but I have to have pretty good pressure on it to get it to come off.

FYI..the back wall is a light bluish color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phosphates are good...I am not sure how old the lights are. The tank was there before I moved to the house, although I tore it all apart and started new, I have not changed any bulbs, except for one. I bet I need to change some lights, huh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,425 Posts
Ive heard that lights can cause algae. What kind do you have? I would look into changing them.
 

·
Saltwater Mom
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Could be the green coraline, I have some on my glass and rock. The only way to get off the glass is to scrape it. I use a plastic card(walmart gift type) and a lot of elbow power. Good thing is what don't end up in the skimmer can settle on rockwork and spread.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
34,435 Posts
lights getting old do not cause algae, phosphates cause algae. what happens is when lights get old they tend to shift their spectrum to the red/yellow. this shift puts the spectrum more in the wheelhouse for algae, since they only get their energy from photosynthesis. thus algae can seem to be caused by the lights. if the phosphates are low than it really does not matter what the lights are doing, algae can not grow. just remember that sunlight is considered 5.5K. so those coral reefs are doing just fine with low K lights and no algae.

corals on the other hand are able to get energy from the other symbiots living in their tissue. so they do not rely totally on photosynthesis. this is whey they can grow with the higher K bulbs. this does not mean that they like it better. the higher K bulbs are purely for our enjoyment.

G~
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top