The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone. I have called every dive shop from Hilton Head to Brunswick. No one can handle a group of our size. The deal that was listed before is like this.

They are a fishing charter - basically a 13 boat party boat. They make their money fishing. So the costs are a bit higher. I am fine with that.

She stated that the cost is $150 per diver - plus tank rental and weight rentals. Remember they are NOT a dive boat. So that stuff normally comes with dives - they do not have. So, basically bring your own tanks and weights from here or rent from them. It maybe $25 or so for that.

Also alot of the charter dive boats told me it will be cold there like anywhere from 62 to 70 degrees. You will need at least 7mm wetsuits or like me, layer 2- 3mm suits.

Margi - I have one call to a guy that is a dive charter but like 100% of everyone else, he can only handle 6 per boat. He is trying to see if he can round up 2 more boats.

I need to verify if a Dive Master will be their with us or someone with knowledge of the reef. Has anyone ever been? Has Eric B. been there?

So basically the deal as posted is the best deal. NO hidden costs here - we just have to offset the boat costs so they take us out otherwise they loose money for the day.

What you think? Ask questions or have ideas?

Todd

·
Banned
210 Posts
Todd:

A couple things worry me when using a fishing charter vs. one setup for divers:

Make sure the boat has a large enough swim platform so it isn't a PITA to get in and out of the water.

What about insurance issues??

Also, make sure there are a few resuce divers on the boat and make sure there is plenty of dive flags and rescue equipment with you that would normally be on a "dive boat".

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess noone has any opinions or question other than JT. So with that.

List your name here as to who is going. I will inform the company how many are going. If you have multiple going list them or tell me as well.

Todd

I will start

Todd is in for one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Todd -

Bill Murrain and 5 others from his club are planning on attending (I will get you his contact info - and he might be at the SWU meeting on Sunday).

Steve, Tim, Doug & Chris all said they planned on attending. Eric Borneman is attending. We are still talking with several people from the Georgia Aquarium about attending also!

$198 pays for a seat on the boat; 2 tanks; weights; lunch and snacks.

Thanks for looking into this further for all of us!!

Margi

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Todd Washowich
Eric Borneman
Bill Murrain and 5 others
Steve Shindell
Tim "the Hit Man"

That's 10 so far

From what I figure they have the 13 person boat and another boat. So figure 6 there. Toatls 19 spots availible I would assume.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wish I could go also - but I figure that it is just a little close to the conference and last minute details ALWAYS happen....

Take LOTS of pictures - both above and below the surface please!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'd really like to go, but at this rate, just scheduling to get certified first has been a challenge. I wouldn't want to be the newbie dragging everybody down.(nyuk-nyuk)

Cheers!
Dan

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need to keep this on the front page!

Anyway, we have until Friday 3/24 to inform the charter how many are going. So if you are reading this and want to dive..say so now. The boat can handle 13. We are at 10. The charter has people wanting the second boat and it's not right to hold it if they have someone willing to send $ now for it.

Remember Friday is the cut off. This will be fun....noone is making any extra money and this is the really best deal.

How many time in your life you going to Dive with Eric B and dive Gray's

·
Registered
338 Posts
What day is this dive on? If we have our own weights and tanks do we have to rent them? Will they allow nitrox as I do not believe Gray's reef is too deep?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The actual dive is Thursday - May 4th.

Gray's Reef is 50 - 70 feet - Nitrox is NOT required. If you bring your own Tanks (Filled) and weights you can deduct $28 from the price - but let us know well in advance.

Margi

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of which, The charter stated that they aren't supplying the air etc. The deal is with Dive Locker Chalet. Correct? Cause we will need to order up the tanks and weights as well.

The dive is $150. I think a pool of $ for food and drinks is appropriate as well.

Todd

I am bring my own Nitrox tanks (2) and weights.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts