The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a plant that has a grass-like appearance; or at the very least grows somewhat thickly together and waves nicely when you put a current through it. There are a few other things, though, which are proving to be an issue to find. It has to be able to grow in a sandbed fairly easily, it can't ruthlessly attach to rock (so I can remove it from my rock), and it can't be harmful to soft corals (or at least not most of them).

I was thinking about maiden's hair, but I've found very inconclusive data about if it can be grown in sand or not. And would their flow requirements blow the sand around even if they could be planted in a sandbed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am indeed looking for an actual plant or algae... I figured it would help with the filtration and provide more hiding places for the fish. And though the GSPs look really cool I did a bit of digging and they are a bit invasive for my taste.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One algae that comes to mind is C.prolifera.
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=1988
It's one of the more stable caulerpa's,not as prone to go sexual.Grows in the sand quite well.Being one of the slower growing algaes you should be able to keep it from growing on the rocks by keeping it pruned back.

Other than that,actual seagrasses will fit the bill,but,they are not always that easy to find.

Maiden's hair,generally grows on rocks,and not in the sand.IME

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
What you are describing does not really exist in the marine hobby. Caulerpa is invasive and the "prolifera" description should suggest something. It can be controlled to a point but even then it is a risk. If you don't mind giving up control, then caluerpa can work but you have to keep it trimmed. But it can stick to rocks.
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2011/09/IMG_3804-3.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So from what I'm hearing I would be better off with either a fake grass (not really my thing) or something similar to the green star polyp? Any suggestions on a cool waving coral that will grow well in sand?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts