The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 29 gallon display with 10 gallon sump...I have done the plumbing...Its direct overflow....no overflow box....drill is in the upper side of aquarium and sump has enough empty space (20 gallon sump) to hold overflooded water.
I have put a valve in overflow pipe...not in return pump...can it create any problem?
Do every water change need to adjust the valve to maintain waterlavels in sump and display?

·
Registered
396 Posts
You don't want to restrict the drain, if something happens to get in there you will have a wet floor, use a ball valve after the pump to control the flow

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My drain pipe is 3/4" and using Maxijet 1200 as return pump. that is the highest that Maxijet creates. Should I use 3/4" to 1/2" in my overflow outlet to lower the overflow rate?

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
it really doesnt matter how large the overflow is. it will only drain as fast as the water is being pushed back into the tank. if you think it is too fast, like azj said, you should put some sort of valve on the return line.

how much head pressure is on the pump? how high does it have to pump to reach the tank? i believe the maxijets loose gph rather quickly when used like this. you may want to look into a magdrive for the return. something like a mag 2 or 3.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine is Maxijet 1200 which gives max 295GPH at 69", mine height is less than that its around 48". My issue is my drain drill is higher 3/4" which in gravity feed gives around 500 GPH. So I think I should lower the drain pipe to 1/2" which gives around 300GPH.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advise....the problem in maintaining the water labels in both the display and sump is due to the reason that my aquarium have drilled in the upperside, but I do not have internal overflow box. I realized the plumbing problem, when I faced it piratically. Yesterday I have decided to make a small overflow box in my aquarium. I have purchase small pieces of acrylic and silicon sealant and I am preparing it today....I think this will solve my problem.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts