The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a few minutes to get my tank set up and the equipment that came with it hooked up....and have a few questions.

1. I have a 40 gal with a corner skimmer (there is a piece of glass siliconed to the corner blocking it off, hole drilled in the bottom with a hose to the sump. There is also a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in it that fits into the hole which I guess I put the small pump w/airstone into). Is this pvc/airstone just for bubbles or is it some sort of crude protein skimmer?:confused:

2. My sump (which is going to have LS, LR and calurepa) is pumped back into the main tank via a powerhead, however the way it's set up now the return is a pipe letting the water back in. I'm concerned that I won't have a current/good water flow throughout my tank. Will this be enough or is there an inexpensive way to remedy this? I'm not exactly sure what kind of corals I'm going to keep but I want it to be ready for anything.

3. Lighting - Although I've read many threads on this I am still way confused. I currently have two strips the length of my tank (don't know the output) one is actinic and the other daylight. I have a friend that can help me modify these if needed......Two part question, 1. what ballast output and bulbs are recommended and 2. what can I get away with. I understand halides are needed for certain corals but if I don't keep those type of corals what should I modify these to....in layman terms.

Thanks,
Allyson

·
Administrator
47,040 Posts
. I have a 40 gal with a corner skimmer (there is a piece of glass
siliconed to the corner blocking it off, hole drilled in the bottom with a
hose to the sump. There is also a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in
it that fits into the hole which I guess I put the small pump w/airstone
into). Is this pvc/airstone just for bubbles or is it some sort of crude
protein skimmer?
No that is the overflow into the sump, the stanpipe with holes is to try and reduce the noise created by the water entering the overflow

2. My sump (which is going to have LS, LR and calurepa) is pumped
back into the main tank via a powerhead, however the way it's set up
now the return is a pipe letting the water back in. I'm concerned that I
won't have a current/good water flow throughout my tank. Will this be
enough or is there an inexpensive way to remedy this? I'm not exactly
sure what kind of corals I'm going to keep but I want it to be ready for
anything.
Depending on the size of the drain hole you want about 400 gallons per hr going thru the tank, what kind of powerhead does it have to return the water and how high does it have to pump?

3. Lighting - Although I've read many threads on this I am still way
confused. I currently have two strips the length of my tank (don't
know the output) one is actinic and the other daylight. I have a friend
that can help me modify these if needed......Two part question, 1. what
ballast output and bulbs are recommended and 2. what can I get away
with. I understand halides are needed for certain corals but if I don't
keep those type of corals what should I modify these to....in layman
terms.
You need to know the wattage of the existing lights, and probably add either Power compacts if the tank is less than 48" long or Very Hi Output(VHO) if its a 4' tank. I like Icecap electronic ballast for VHO but you can get reasonable PC lighting from www.ahsupply.com or www.lampsnow.com Metal halides might be needed down the road as you gain confidence in your skill as a reefkeeper and want to try more demanding animals, but you can add them later,HTH

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Hi Allyson :)

All of this can be so confusing, I know! You have an excellent saltwater hobbyist club in your area with some very nice and experienced people who are members.

Here's the link: MARSH

We'll try to answer as many questions as we can here, of course! But sometimes nothing beats being able to look at all the plumbing and lighting choices first hand from someone who isn't trying to sell you something!

~Alice

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
Doug beat me to my answers :mad: :D

I agree with everything that Doug says, I only wnat to add that you will want to get a few powerheads for in the tank. I personally like Maxi Jet brand. I would also agree with Doug on the lighting that your present light strips won't be enough for much of anything so Iwould recomend PC or VHO type lights.

Jon

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what type of powerhead it is and I'm not at home. But it has to pump the water up about 2 1/2 to 3 ft. What if I hook up pvc pipe with holes (kind of like an eheim return)? What do most of you use? Is one heavy duty powerhead usually enough....my tank is not that big.

And so I guess the airstone doesn't go into the "standpipe"? Maybe is was just dropped into the tank for bubbles. I beleive it was a FO tank as it had crushed coral and dead coral pieces in it.

By the way it cleaned up nicely....no elbow grease needed (I can't remember who gave me tip on the Kmart sale)

Allyson

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Allyson,
A couple of powerheads in the tank will give you good water movement. I use Maxi Jet 600's in both my 55 and 38 which provide excellent flow without blasting things from the rocks. The come with plastic guards that go over the intake to prevent thrill rides by your tank occupants.;)

For your 40, I would start with two, one at each end, placed toward the back with flow directed toward the front center of the tank. Place one high, producing surface agitation; the other a bit lower down. If you still have dead spots, you might want a third one down at the bottom, sweeping across the substrate. I have 3 configured that way in the 55 reef. My 38 is a FOWLR and 2 do the job.

For lighting, I would look at VHO. 2 tubes would give enough light for softies and lower light demanding softies; 3 or 4 would give great lighting for a wide range of soft and LPS corals.
I use and really like the Ice Cap 660 ballast as it gives good bulb longevity and can accomodate 2, 3, or 4 bulbs. Many are using the Lampsnow ballast, which are a bit cheaper, but I have no personal experience with it.
The regular NO fluorescent light strips can only run NO bulbs unless you change the ballasts. I use an All Glass double strip light which I gutted and installed VHO tubes and two 46.5" bulbs, with the Ice Cap installed in the cabinet underneath the tank. This is a passable setup for two bulbs but I would recommend building a simple hood to attach the bulbs, giving you more space for addtional tubes. Here's one:
http://www.northernreef.org/light_box.htm

The Premium Aquatics and Atlantis Aquatics sites have good info on lighting types and bulb recommendations:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...een=CTGY&Store_Code=PA&Category_Code=Lighting
http://www.atlantisaquatic.com/lighting.html
Borneman's book, Aquarium Corals is excellent for giving the specific light and care requirements of most corals.
HTH,
Dick)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys....looking at the picture FishDaddy posted I'm pretty positive thats the powerhead I have flowing water from my sump to the tank (not sure of the output though).

Speaking of the sump what kind of lighting do I put on it for my calurepa (sp?) & critters? I have an extra strip from one of my fresh water tanks but what kind of bulb should I put in it...actinic, standard flourescent?

I'll probably gut & rebuild one of the strips that I have for the main tank utilizing the info you guys passed on, but the other one has a fairly large ballast box on the cord (I guess that's what it is I'll look at it closer when I get home) but my guess is since the "box" is fairly large/long compared to my others then so the output must be greater. My tank is only about 21" deep and 36" long and the strips span the entire top so I won't worry about halides right now. My hubby is pretty good at woodworking so I'll have him build me a nice hood to house more wattage later......and eventually a bigger tank after we get some reef keeping experience under our belt.

Allyson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts