The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I thought I'd start a thread so you could post major problems you have encountered with your Nano. If you resolved it yourself, tell us how you did it. If you didn't get it fixed, maybe we could help.

Since I only set my tank up 3 days ago, there hasn't been time for any problems. But I'm sure they are out there....forwarned is forarmed!!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Nicole --- I just don't remeber but do you have any LR in it yet.

LR usually helps a great deal on getting the SD to settle. I couldn't understand this w/ my first SD tank but after seeing it in action I am now a beleiver. I think it has to do w/ bio activity attaching itself to the sand particles.

Be patient it will settle.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
My 3 gal nano took about 3 days to settle down. However I have abut 3-4 pounds of live rock I am guessing and I am blowing the powerhead to create turbulance on the surface of the water (ie read about my AC problems) and still using the Eclipse power filter that came with the nano. I also added a new cartridge which will lead into my next question,

I have some bio balls from my sump. ( I have or am removing them from my sumps), I wonder if it would not be a bad idea to place two or three bioballs in the filter chamber of my powerfiter (the eclipse biowheel type) rather than the carbon impregnated filter pads, that I replace every other month or so.

Ray

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would remove everything from the power filter.

Only run carbon if you think you ghave a chemical warfare problem or some other type of problem that needs addressing by carbon. Otherwise run the filter w/ no filters or bio-balls or anything.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10g + 12lbs.LR

I added 10 more lbs. of LR today so that will def. help with cloudyness. I do have a powerhead running but I will remove the filter from the HOB.

Problem solved. Anyone else have a nano problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a little 7 gallon nano about a week ago, and I filled it with live rock. I realize this live rock does a lot of filtration itself, but in my opinion, it can't hurt to have some sort of biological filter media in the filter. The filter is out of the tank and could possibly be biologically more constant, if it had some sort of bio balls, than the tank itself. I personally am using some of those fluval rings because hey it can't hurt!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan2183

Welcome to TRT!!!!! We are glad to have you!!!!!
Thanks for your advice. Maybe we can help each other with our new tanks. I set mine up 3-4 days ago. I added 10lbs LR yesterday(I already had 2) and now visibility is at 3". I am really hoping by the end of the day it will be clear enough to arrange my rock. I had previously been using this 10g for a QT. It had about 1/2" or so LS in it. I had also put in 2 or 3 snails and a blue leg hermit. I hope i didnt squash them with new rock as I certainly couldnt see into the tank. Oh well, they will add bio nutrients if they're squashed.
I am looking forward to my new little tank. Since I like rearranging my corals and rocks, this will be a whole lot easier. Now I'll only get wet half was up my arm and wont get bruises from standing on tippytoes reaching into the 72g.
Anyway, glad to have you aboard. You'll enjoy it here!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
ryan2183 said:
I got a little 7 gallon nano about a week ago, and I filled it with live rock. I realize this live rock does a lot of filtration itself, but in my opinion, it can't hurt to have some sort of biological filter media in the filter. The filter is out of the tank and could possibly be biologically more constant, if it had some sort of bio balls, than the tank itself. I personally am using some of those fluval rings because hey it can't hurt!
Actually if the proper amount of LR is used that is all the biological filter you will ever need.

LR is actually a little more consistant than a HOB. HOB's require the filter to be runing constantly. If power ever goes out things tend to go bad in the HOB much quicker than in the tank since it has such a small volume of water.

Bio-balls, rings, bio-bale ect.... all trap detritus which breaks down and eventually the whole situation turns into a Nitrate factory. The bio-balls/rings/bale is fairly old technology that at one time was considered state of the art. Since then much has been learned and now most people only use the bio-stuff on very heavily stocked fish systems where nitrates aren't as big of an issue as in a reef tank.

I'll still stick to my recommendation --- Do not run anything in your HOB except on a limited/temporary basis. The HOB's in Nanos are mainly used for circulation and a small power head could easily replace it. Also some people use the HOB's as refugiums or a place to hide their heater ect...

In 9fishers tank I might be temped to run a filter sleve w/ carbon in a HOB until the tank clears. It would help clear it. As soon as the tank clears remove the filter and trow away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah it's a 7 gallon minibow. I've kept freshwater tanks before, but this is addicting. I can't stop reading and wanting to buy stuff for my tank, but I know I have to be patient and let things get settled first. Plus I need to upgrade the lighting before I can get really cool stuff!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't get why your visibility still isn't perfectly clear in your tank yet if it's been about 4 or 5 days. Does that southdown ( i think that's what you used) not settle as fast as the other types of substrate because mine was clear the next morning! Maybe I just got lucky.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Ryan,

Nope....not clear at all. In fact I just changed out some of the water and cleaned the filter. The water that fell from the filter was like milk! The live sand I used for my main settled the same day. I think this isnt settling as fast because its such teeny,tiny grained. Its got "powder"like particles. Supposedly, adding the live rock will cause particles to bind together and settle out. It was getting better but since I messed with it, its extra cloudy again. One concern I foresee is the sediment that is coating the LR. If/when I finally "shake" it off, it will cloud the water and then settle back on the LR. Im impatient, not for fish or shrooms, but just to be able to arrange my rocks and see what critters are in there. They're all choking(or holding their breath) Im sure. Waiting is NOT in my nature. I had hoped this hobby would calm me but instead I stay uptight and an*l about it.

I want what I want NOW!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
c_k_kuehne said:
If it is please check out the following website http://www.minibow.com
Thanks for the link Charles. You guys have me thinking about setting one up. How bout a little 7 gal bow with nothing but shrooms.:)

Nicole the water will eventually clear. Then you'll do something to disturb it and it'll be cloudy again. Eventually all will be well. It just takes some time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Rick -- If you setup a Minibow let me know. I'll help you w/ some lighting. Doug made me a sweet little canopy that I customized w/ part of the std Minibow canopy.

It came out totally awesome.

Charles

P.S. I'll have some new pics of my Minibow to post within a week or two. I'll also have the long awaited canopy pics. --- Parents stopping by w/ digital camera.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.