Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got in, they're closed 'til Monday. What a hassle. Maybe I was expecting a bit much for $294 with 8 bulbs.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but those reflectors aren't even close to what MOST individual reflectors look like. I have a TEK fixture and the reflectors are not even similar to those. I hope it gets resolved for you..........

Someone posted a link to that recently I believe, and I honestly wasn't impressed with the looks of that. TRUE T5 HO w/ individual reflectors is serious lighting.....I wish there weren't so many rip offs flooding the market.!

Don't even take the coating off of those, just pester them until you get your money back!

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Honestly that's the "loosest" term for INDIVIDUAL reflectors I've seen in a while.....I guess the key term is parabolic.

While I am sure they would work in almost 90% of situations, they are not the T5 HO w/ individual reflectors you hear the good reports about. There truly is a difference.....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ReelFreak said:
Honestly that's the "loosest" term for INDIVIDUAL reflectors I've seen in a while.....I guess the key term is parabolic.

While I am sure they would work in almost 90% of situations, they are not the T5 HO w/ individual reflectors you hear the good reports about. There truly is a difference.....
The photo looks like the parabolic reflectors if I'm not mistaken.
Am I right?

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I guess I should say they look nothing like the reflectors on my Tek light.....If you aren't happy with them I certainly would try to get your money back and spend a few more bucks and get something else.

I've read some great reports from the Icecap setups, although they will cost you more. Next in line from my readings are the Tek setups, I saw the retros on sale at reefgeek a few days back. For the same $300 you will wind up w/ a 4x setup instead of 6 bulbs.

Have you fired the unit up to see what the light is like?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ReelFreak said:
I guess I should say they look nothing like the reflectors on my Tek light.....If you aren't happy with them I certainly would try to get your money back and spend a few more bucks and get something else.

I've read some great reports from the Icecap setups, although they will cost you more. Next in line from my readings are the Tek setups, I saw the retros on sale at reefgeek a few days back. For the same $300 you will wind up w/ a 4x setup instead of 6 bulbs.

Have you fired the unit up to see what the light is like?
In my last post I was referring to the reflectors on the link I provided. I've never seen these reflectors in person. I was curious if the reflectors on the link I provided were considered parabolic.
I'm leaving the plastic on it and calling on Monday. I'm going to tell them to send UPS to come pick it up and refund my credit card. I'm hoping they make it easy.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Sorry Jesse, the reflectors in the link look like what you ended up with to me. They don't look like paraboilics in the link either.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Shoulda went with championlighting.com Im not sure abuot the price differences. They asked NO questions, when they sent me a defective Current T5 Nova Extreme fixture. they sent a replacement out that day.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm gonna send it back if I can. If turns into a nightmare, I guess they are better than a single reflector and I'll probably just keep them and count it as a lesson learned. All 8 should still be enough light.
If it breaks a year later I'll just work a day of overtime and buy a good one(luckily I can do that at my job). It's only money!!!!!:nuts:
Thanks for all the input everyone, and maybe this thread will keep a few others from possibly making the same mistake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They don't look polished at all, seem very dull in the pic.. that sucks you have to go through the trouble..
Hope things work out...
The old saying is, You get what you pay for............. This time it was true :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, upon further review, the reflectors I got were what is in the picture. It's hard to tell due to some good photography work, but I could see it as I was complaining on the phone to the guy. I'm probably just going to keep'em. They have a 5 year warranty, so what the heck! I've decided it's more of a hassle to pack it back up and have to deal with crediting me and so on.

Here's a couple photos.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts