The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[ADDED PIC} Got my first fish!

It's so cool!

I've patiently waited 6 months for my tank to stabilize and it's been real consistent as far as water params are concerned. Also got rid of my algae problem. My coraline algae is thriving so I took that as another sign that my tank was happy so I treated myself today and bought a firefish and a sand sifting starfish.

The firefish is swimming around and has found a cave for himself to occupy. He's got a lot of personality and seems like he acclimated really fast. I was suprised to find that he swims to the front of the tank when I approach. I thought he would have spent his first day hiding?

One question that I couldn't find a good answer to when searching the forums is whether I should give him any food right away. He's been in the tank a few hours now. Should I wait or give him something now?

I bought him some frozen cube food (brine shrimp and prime reef). I read a few posts about washing the cubes before putting them in the tank so I feel a little smarter, but I still have no clue how often I should feed and if I should feed him now or wait a while.

Thanks,
Happy new fish owner

[EDIT]

You can find a pic of Stewie here

BTW, This guy is a pig!

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
First of all, congrats! And w000000000t!! If he is out now, it's prolly fine to feed him. I feed my fish once a day, and I try to feed them what they can competely consume in about five minutes.

Again, congrats! Firefish are awesome!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Congrats! :D

Many people (myself included) feed every other day. The fish can handle it fine and it reduces the amount of uneaten food left in the tank. You really only need a tiny bit for one firefish, maybe 1/8 cube if that. Rinse the food in ro water before feeding to reduce the amount of phosphate you put in the tank.

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
Congrats on your new fish!!! w0000000000000000t just like Chris said!! ha

The key is to make sure you are exporting any excess food to prevent algae. I feed my reef every other day. If it's a night I'm supposed to feed and I see cyano, then I skip the feeding and wait til the next night.

Did you watch him eat at the LFS? If not, then try feeding and see if it eats since its being outgoing already.

·
Ghetto Reefer 101
1,447 Posts
i feed once per day real good, I make sure all the fish eat and try to leave nothing extra uneaten...than I'll give a very light feeding at night, only the agressive feeders will get the food.....

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
Congrats on your new firefish and hope he is doing well!! Also, if you don't know there is a great TCMAS (Twin Cities Marine Aquarium society) group on TRT. The group is awsome and come say Hello :wavey:

Good luck with your tank :)

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd heard it's not good practice to feed a fish the same day it was put into a tank?

Most of the time, the fish are too stressed out to eat, so you're just adding wasted food.

Then, when a new fish DOES eat...most of the time, it's too shaken up from the events to digest it properly.

Are these urban legends, or is there some truth to this?

I was always told you shouldn't feed any new aquisition for at least a full day.
But that aside, congrats on the new fish, and more importantly, CONGRATS for being one of the most patient starters I've EVER read. 6 months before buying a fish? You are AWESOME!!!

See guys, now THAT'S how you do it!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as a follow up, I did feed him that night and he gulped it down.

I am a little worried that I have to much flow in my tank. He is constantly flipping his front fins. Is that normal?

He rarely uses his tail unless he sees something he thinks he should eat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have always fed my fish the first day if they don't look scared and are out and about...never had a problem after feeding. Knock on wood, now I will....geez.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Congrats on the new fish...I'm sooo jealous:drool:
Butch

·
Registered
252 Posts
I always feed new fish. I figure it should reduce the stress of being a new place, if they at least know they arent gonna starve there.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I always use water from the tank to thaw the frozen cube, feed about 1/3 or so. I hope your sand shifting star is not a green one. Those are evil predators and will eat most animals in a reef tank. I lost shrimp, crabs and snails to one of those.
I think it depends on the fish if you feed them or not. I heard you will want to feed the odl occupants while you release the new guys so they do not pay that much attention to them, but this only last a few minutes, what next? I never did this but instead turn the light of so the new fish can find a hole and not be harrased too much, some fish can be agreesive towards the new guys.
If the fish is out and about in the tank you want to see if he is eating,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts