The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally went and bought a fairly inexpensive coral for my first tank resident (other than some turbo snails and random LR hitchhikers). I purchased some sea mats and I think I may have also ended up with an item I didn't bargain for... so I have a couple of questions.

1. Is this aiptasia in the upper picture? If so what do I do? Pull it off or get a shrimp that will eat it? There is another similar organism on the back of the rock... brown and much smaller, but with "tentacles."

2. A snail hitchhiked on the sea mats. The guy at the LFS pulled a couple off but must've missed this one. Is it my lucky day or will the snail be harmful to the sea mats?

3. Also, in the lower pic you can see where I have placed the sea mats... lower right corner directly on the sand bed. Is that what you do? Just find a spot...? Or do I break it up and place them on the LR? Also, the rock the sea mats are growing on is broken in two, and it seems that it is being held together by the sea mats themselvs. Can I pull it apart and place the halves in different locations?

My current reef tank book isn't cutting it! Time to get one specifically for corals! Thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Grr. Should I take back this piece and get one w/o aiptasia? The thing is, the guy at the LFS took the piece out, broke something tiny off of the rock and crushed it then said, "Aiptasia, you don't want that." ...while this tentacled beast was prominently stuck on the side of the rock. (which led me to go home and research what aiptasia looks like).

Do you think this removal method will work: http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa061903.htm

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some folks use hot water, others use Kalkwasser solution applied the same way with a needle. Me I keep peppermint shrimp for this =) The shrimp will eat a lot of stuff when the aiptasia are gone. Mine basically scavenge and bottom feed. I have yet to see them harm a coral.

BTW it's a hoot watching the Peppermint shrimp devour these guys.

Books....

http://www.thereeftank.com/books/

I like Bornemans coral book. The fish guide is also a good book should have that if ya plan on adding fish. And while I don't own them folks have spoken highly of the books by Delbeek and Sprung.

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mkelly!

Guess I'll try the shrimp route and just monitor him for coral snacking.

I currently have the Tullock book and have been eyeing the
Borneman for a while now.

So... can I break this thing apart and place it on my LR (would that basically be fragging my sea mat) or do I just leave it on the sand bed?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
To seperate the piece of LR with the "sea mat" or button polyps on it. Just carefully pull the 2 halves apart and use a sharp knife or razor blade/knife to cut the mat between the 2 pieces.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to TRT, friend! Peppermint shrimp are a great solution & they make a cool but secretive tank inhabitant. Also in the book dept. try a couple titles The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, great for starters, easy to understand, and nothing too incredibly wacky! This book and TRT.com were a real savior. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts