The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you have to have a sump drilled? this is what i was planning on doing, this is just an example not the real thing....ok say you have a tank that has two overflows and two returns and lets say the tank is a 100 gallon just to keep things simple, ok so you have a 20long for a sump, so you have pvc coming from the two overflows into the sump, via over the top of the sump...and you have the mag 10 in the sump plumbed out over the top to the two returns. would this work? I am thinking so, but had to pass it by you guys, and if this does work then why get a sump drilled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Yes that will work just fine, it's just more tidy and looks cleaner to have the sum drilled.
 

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, then i guess this will work. drilling a tank isnt a big deal for me, but dont want to do it if the way im gonna make the sump doesnt require it. but i have one more question. once i have everything plumbed together where do i add the water, to the main tank or the sump? and how do i know i have enough water to fill the sump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Tim224DT said:
You drill a sump for external pumps.


Tim
This is partially true, you can run an external pump with over the top plumbing but it needs to be primed prior to initial start up.
 

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
once everything is plumbed together where do i add water?to the main tank or the sump? and if you add it to the main tank then how do you know you have enough water for the sump...or do you just add untill it overflows and goes down to the sump and once you have enough water you turn on the sump pump and everything is good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,070 Posts
volitansman said:
This is partially true, you can run an external pump with over the top plumbing but it needs to be primed prior to initial start up.
Yeah but then you have to worry if it ever loses prime for what ever reason and then the pump burns up.:help:

So yes you are correct with that but less worries just drill it!:nuts: :nuts:



Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Tim224DT said:
Yeah but then you have to worry if it ever loses prime for what ever reason and then the pump burns up.:help:

So yes you are correct with that but less worries just drill it!:nuts: :nuts:



Tim
Yeh, loseing prime would be a problem, but as long as the intake stays under water that's unlikely, I've been running one that way for two years with zero problems.
 

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got a question for you guys its up top...about how to fill the tank/sump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
is_that_a_fish said:
once everything is plumbed together where do i add water?to the main tank or the sump? and if you add it to the main tank then how do you know you have enough water for the sump...or do you just add untill it overflows and goes down to the sump and once you have enough water you turn on the sump pump and everything is good?
You can add water to either the main tank or the sump, a lot of people just add water to which ever one is easier to get to. If it is easier to get to your main tank I would make sure the overflows are working and start adding water untill the sump level is just below where you want it and then start your return pump and the finish adding water to bring the level up to where you want. Just remember that when the pumps are shut off you will need enough space left in the sump for the excess that will drain from the tank.
 

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok sweet. but how cant a overflow work? all i does is overflow and the water gets gravity fed back to the sump
 

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup:) so im guessing overflows work with reef ready tanks? but i would still like to know how one would mailfunction
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
On my tank I use a hang on overflow so it can malfunction and I end up with a flood, on reef ready tanks as long as there is nothing plugging the drain tubes they work and you don't have much to worry about.

Annother question, are you useing a durso or stockman style stand pipe for your drains? If not you may want to look into it they dramatically reduce water noise in your tank.
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
is_that_a_fish said:
yup:) so im guessing overflows work with reef ready tanks? but i would still like to know how one would mailfunction
It works like any siphon...if that siphon gets broken all the water that can be pumped out of your sump will end up on your floor.

There are things you can do to make it nearly bulletproof, but even though ive ran them for a long time without having one overflow, im not going to say that it is 100% bulletproof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
I just had major issues with my siphon overflow and I could not explain starting it to the person taking care of the tank. I decided to by a RR tank to eliminate the worry.

If the siphon is stopped you can prevent major overflow by placing a baffle in the sump so that only so much water can be pumped back to the tank. If you size the baffled area correctly you will not overflow the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Pauli said:
If the siphon is stopped you can prevent major overflow by placing a baffle in the sump so that only so much water can be pumped back to the tank. If you size the baffled area correctly you will not overflow the tank.
:doh:I never thought of that, luckily the last over flow I had was while the tank was still in the garage.
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
Pauli said:
I just had major issues with my siphon overflow and I could not explain starting it to the person taking care of the tank. I decided to by a RR tank to eliminate the worry.

If the siphon is stopped you can prevent major overflow by placing a baffle in the sump so that only so much water can be pumped back to the tank. If you size the baffled area correctly you will not overflow the tank.
Either way you will most likely end up with a burned up pump. The most effective way IS to have a RR tank but they also make these little $10 pumps that have no other purpose than to keep the siphon going. I am moments(or most likely weeks LOL) from eliminating the overflows i have going on two tanks as well........of course im doing it by simply eliminating the tanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Either way you will most likely end up with a burned up pump. The most effective way IS to have a RR tank but they also make these little $10 pumps that have no other purpose than to keep the siphon going. I am moments(or most likely weeks LOL) from eliminating the overflows i have going on two tanks as well........of course im doing it by simply eliminating the tanks
I have one of those pumps hooked up to the overflow to keep the siphon going but, if the hose that feeds the pump from the overflow plugs it will lose siphon eventually. Mine only seems to plug when I am away for a week or some extended time. Murphy's Law you know.
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
Pauli said:
I have one of those pumps hooked up to the overflow to keep the siphon going but, if the hose that feeds the pump from the overflow plugs it will lose siphon eventually. Mine only seems to plug when I am away for a week or some extended time. Murphy's Law you know.
i bought a couple of those pumps but i hated them.....i cant remember why now. I just remember using one of them for a day and put it back in the box. i know i still have them, one of them never used. I just always used a venturi off of a maxi jet and glued the hose in the MJ real well.

According to Murphys law i shouldnt really even be talking about it as im taking both of the systems in question down shortly.....i better go double check everything or theyre gonna bite me on the way out:rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top