The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is gorilla glue toxic to corals? or can i use it to mount them?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol just wondering, i don't have anything to mount right now, i have been using a "coral glue" that something fishy packages and sells but i'm looking for something else.. how do i glue corals underwater? i'v never mounted to my rockwork but my aquascaping is finally done and now i'm ready to do that!

P.S. i'm not as dumb as my questions sound i just like to be sure =P

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I just did a little in the tank. Tang bit a piece... Fortunately, he kept trying to eat despite the fact his mouth was glued shut. So, I was able to lure him with some food into a net.
Just a warning to keep an eye on the fish that have become used to your hands in the tank.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
HFG said:
I just did a little in the tank. Tang bit a piece... Fortunately, he kept trying to eat despite the fact his mouth was glued shut. So, I was able to lure him with some food into a net.
Just a warning to keep an eye on the fish that have become used to your hands in the tank.
Wow! How long was his mouth sealed shut? :funny:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Irenicus said:
Wow! How long was his mouth sealed shut? :funny:
About an hour. Which makes me wonder how he got air. It barley phazed him at all; even after I took him out and cut it in half (looked like he had "Got Milk?" face). He was out eating with a crusty on his upper lip in a minute.:fish:

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Yesterday I had a bit of gel superglue float off and I thought my clown was gonna bite in. That would have sucked.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Glue Mouth

I've heard of fish having there mouths glued shut for 3-4 days with no harm done....
I glued my girlfriends mouth shut for the last 5 days of my vacation. Didn't seem to hurt her, but she hit me with a baseball bat on day 6, so it did hurt me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
GorillA GLUE

Don't use gorilla glue to mount corals.:funny: Use super glue gel.
Why do you say not to use it? Have you tried it? Is it because it doesn't work or because it is toxic. I would really like to know.

The regular Gorilla Glue now comes in a clear drying formulation. All I can confirm is that it is a Polyurethane Adhesive.

They also make a Super Glue Gel, which is the same as Super Glue (Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive( but it's the same as Super Glue.

I have used the Gorilla Super Glue with no issues. But I think the Gorilla Glue would be even better (It needs moisture to activate). I would like to try it but not until I have some assurance that it would not be toxic in the tank.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Well the normal Gorilla Glue foams up when wet.
Wouldn't look to good.
You might try it with something in a bucket of water I wouldn't try it in the tank until tested.
As for toxicity you can ask the manufacturer.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Anything labeled Super Glue and cyanoacrylate will work fine and be safe.
What they want to know is the regular type Gorilla Glue.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Regular (orange stuff) or quick dry (white stuff) Gorilla Glue, i'm not sure why anyone would want to use them, because they foam up as they dry. Very strong, but very displeasing appearance wise. Better to go with something that you know is reef safe for sure, and that will look good. Even if it's in a place that you cant see, it will expand and maybe leave a unwanted gap or allow you to see the glue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts