The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had enough of this Gorilla crab. Today when I got home from work, I checked in on my tank only to find the reminiscent of a gorilla crab shell. The little bugger had Molted since last night. I decided that I can't let him get any bigger in my display tank. I haven't seen him yet again today since discovering the shell, but I know hes not dead and that the shell was not him, but his previous puny amour.

Ive tried many traps, but after leaving them in for just one night I give up and remove them and forget about him for a while until he pokes his head out of the rock he lives in. Well I've done some online research and I've decided to go with the inverted plastic water bottle trap to start. It seems to have had the most success on peoples threads on the subject. This time however, I'm going to keep it in the tank until he is caught. I will change the shrimp bait every day so that I don't mess with my water quality that much.

I decided to start this thread to let you all know my progress and upcoming developments in the extraction of this little pest. As well as educating other members what works and what doesn't work.

Wish me luck :EX:

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the inverted plastic bottle trap this is it.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Good luck, I have been there...

Personally, I would have used this... BOOM!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was thinking, if you are a bit of a wee man, or you have a gargantuan tank... You could always go the old school James Bond route with a spear gun!

Attachments

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night I set the trap net to the rock where the gorilla crab lives. Unfortunately I woke up this morning to a handful of trapped hermit crabs but not Gorilla crab. Ill try it in the same spot tonight but if it fails again Ill move it to a different part of the rock. It might be extra skiddish and timid though because he just molted.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Scriles, if the crab is that weary, you might want to keep it in the same spot for longer periods of time... If he keeps seeing this thing pop up in different places, he might not be brave enough to check it out.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Thats a valid point. Ill keep doing it in the same spot for a while. See if he gets s little braver due to familiarity.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im thinking the hermit crabs cramming into the trap like vultures are deterring the gorilla. Im going to remove the hermits from the trap into my sump for the time being. Make the trap a little less threatening to it.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Failed again. No luck again last night. Ive pin pointed his favourite hideing hole, but unfortunately it is high up on the rock. My trap is on the sand leading to another hole. I know he can acess the trap because I've seen him pop out of that hole as well. However I'm starting to think I need to figure a way to have the trap higher up on the rock. I'm thinking of using epoxy to create a trap that can mold to the rock perfectly and won't be awkward and fall over.

Also I've been taking out all the hermit that have been going after the trap and placing them into the sump for the time being. This is to eliminate any competition and make it more comfortable for the gorilla crab to "take the bait" :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had one that drove me crazy for weeks - I removed the rock, laid it on its side and filled his hole with hypersaline solution - he scurried right out and the rest of the LR was not affected and went right back in the DT. Quick and easy - IF you can remove the piece that is.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had one that drove me crazy for weeks - I removed the rock, laid it on its side and filled his hole with hypersaline solution - he scurried right out and the rest of the LR was not affected and went right back in the DT. Quick and easy - IF you can remove the piece that is.

That is going to be my last resort. I have corals that are unfortunately epoxyd onto the particular rock he is hiding in. I really don't want to have to pry the corals off of the rocks to flush the crab out, but I do realize that this may be what needs to get done.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Scriles its almost a big pain in the arse like my algae eh? If its not one thing its another. I don't know what I would do if I had another issue that I constantly had to monitor lol. I would pull it if I were you, I know its a bigger job but at least its a garauntee it would be gone forever and it would only be done once right? Still pulling rock is always a pain no matter what you achieve in the end. Good luck again.

-kodabs

PS - btw I just did my other water change and sump siphoning again. Here we go!

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its an ongoing battle with one thing or another. Thats why this hobby isn't for everyone. There will always be things popping up that need to be addressed, but within that comes the love of this hobby, and the opportunity to learn and improve. :)

Hows your tank looking now kodabs?

·
Registered
473 Posts
For sure I hear ya, time consuming too but well worth it in the end IMO. The tank looks awesome right after the cleaning. I've got some links to pics of the tank, but I'm not sure about the quality of the pics. There are in my algae thred page 3. Alright baby is crying, gtg for now.

-kodabs

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and remove the rock and flush the little bugger out.. My clown fish just got stuck in the trap, and Ive noticed that my water parameters are a little off since introducing the trap with a piece of shrimp as bait into the water. Even though I have been replacing the shimp every morning, it is having negative effects on my water quality. Id rather have a gorilla crab and a potential thread then mess with my quality of the tank. Still haven't fully decided, but Ill keep you all posted.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Maybe try a few more days of trying to catch him but if it doesn't work yeah just pull the rock and be done with it. Any pics?

-kodabs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts