The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After working my best to fit a skimmer beneath my 100 gallon, down there with my sump and refugium, I have failed. Basically, one thing had to go and it was the skimmer.

Here's my question: has anyone here run a successful reef without a skimmer in the mix? Currently I have a 100 gallon, as I said, with very much live rock. I have emptied the wet/dry filter and filled it with live rock rubble; this filter pumps into a refugium with a six inch coarse sand bed and above that under a 24 hour light cycle grows a large mat of caulerpa.

Theoretically, this should all work fine, yet I have never run a tank without at least a back up skimmer. It's kind've liberating feeling now that the entire filtration is natural, but I also worry that it may build up dissolved organics...

Has anyone created and run a system similar to this? Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
i read somewhere that you don't need a protien skimmer if you are running a plenum in your dsb. do you have a plenum installed in your dsb?
:cool:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ditch the 'fuge and add the skimmer. JMO!;)

Dennis

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the skimmer, is esentially natural too. imo, its the same as the waves beating on the shore, etc...

that's why you see those big frothy wave tops, and the milky tide on shore.. its the oceans skimmer depositing its foam on the shores, and out of the tank :)

i would put the skimmer on.. .cant you put the skimmer in the sump, or in the refugium? perhaps an in-sump model?

i dont know enough to say a skimemr is required... but i would recommend it. i've heard its more important that a fuge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my opinion a high end skimmer is essintial. Even with the ecosystem i use on my 112 gallon reef system I always had trouble getting nitrates to zero. After a year of running it without one(at the advise of my LFS),i decided on my own to hook one up and low and behold within 1 month my nitrates hit zero and have remained there. Just IMO.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Plain and simple...

The skimmer will remove organics before they need to go through the nitrogen filtration cycle... In essence, you're removing crap out of the tank before it needs to get filtered out by other means...

It also provides better water clarity, which in an SPS tank, it essential for light penetration...

Keep the skimmer at all costs...

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
i would agree on trying to figure out some way to get the skimmer in there- or a skimmer that will fit.

I've been fighting nitrates from the get go, as high as 80 but never lower than 40. I tired to run the skimmer i have inside the main tank, but had to run it low for asthetics- and it didn't work too well at all so i laid it off for a while. I recently built a sump and put it in there, since its not in the MT i can run it at a more efficient rate, it pulled out a ton of nasty within the first few hours.... nitrates were still around 30-40 at that time....... now a few weeks later nitrates are down to 10 or less....

so with a combo of the 27 extra gallons in the sump and the skimmer, i'm sure thats what brought those nitrates down....

at this point i think i'd choke anyone who tried to tell me that a skimmer is not needed (at least for my particular tank ;) )

:lol:

PS, Hey Buzzhog! Where've you been? *waves*

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
bought a house and moved into it.... it's been taking up tons of my time....

and I'm battling dinoflagelettes.... it's the nastiest battle a reef keeper can fight... :-/

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
I've got a situation here. Three tanks and only two skimmers. The Euroreef I ordered got delayed in shipping and then arrived broken. So three weeks with no skimmer on the setup. I'm getting tired of water changes, but the dramatic difference when I do one (33%) is what keeps me going. I finally built a skimmer out of coke bottles that works, but not so efficient. I'll be so glad when that part comes in tomorrow. Red tuft algae thrives in that high organic situation.
Wanna really see the "saponification" action of kalkwasser in your tank. Use a poor design skimmer. Goes from not doing much to foam gushing out the top, just from dripping kalk!
Don't know how you'd cycle rock without a skimmer. I've been dumping buckets out of my MRC while cycling a 100# of Tongan. Andy, when you get it tuned that skimmer absolutely ROCKS!!! Thanks for the help, and suggestions about situating it in the sump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts