The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I got a few of these in my tank... Can someone ID them, or at least let me know if they are good or bad...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
706 Posts
Buzz,
Do those have a 1/2 shell on them? i recall having some in my last tank, there were hundreds of them. They kinda looked like a snail with a finger nail on them. The reproduced like crazy. Seemed to graze on the glass mostly, so I assumed they were algea eaters.......the only thing I didn't like was how many there were.

Dave

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I had some snails that looked very similiar in my tank before I tore it down; they used to hang out more at the base of the rocks and the sand line on the glass rather than cruise the rock much. They never bothered anything that I could see, but I didn't have clams nor many sps.

Alice

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I have seen them in friend's tanks, and never heard anything bad about them. Can't offer any names for it though...well..how about Thelma and Louise? ;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
These are probably not harmful at all. They are most likely a small species of the Genus Arene (Astrea) or possibly of the Genus Macarene snail. The differences are minute as the two families are closely related. They are perfectly reef safe and will graze film algae at night. In the author's experience, they can reproduce quickly, becoming a small army in a short period of time.

Attachments

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahhhhh..... Johnny, that hit the nail on the head...

Thanks for the replies everyone... I've noticed about 6 on one ock last night and I'm sure there are more...

Dave, what you're referring to are Stomatella... i've got tons of them also, and they are miracle workers....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm having a out break of what looks pretty much the same. Mine do have a small thin shell just behind the head leaving a wide tail unprotected. They move very fast once the light come on. I have several sizes of them in just a few day's. They unlike the nudibranch don't seem to hurting anything. The nuddie's kill a great clove polyps for me. They also reproduced like crazy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
;) Buzz, those are great little snails!!!! I have legions in both of my tanks, ranging in size from 1mm to about 7mm. They are mostly nocturnal, however, I see them at all times, at all visible places, on rocks, macro, between polyps.....you get the idea.

They will become many for you in no time!

Lee:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts