The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I don't really ever post on here. I have an old 29 gallon aquarium which has been running for about a year now, and was getting ready to upgrade to a new 40g when i noticed the worms. The past month or so ive been attempting to trap the worms i have in my tank. Ive found them mainly one two pieces of live rock, and in the sand beneath those two. Both pieces are very porous.

Ive been researching, seeing ideas for traps, freshwater baths, and it seems the only way i get them is using the tweezers method. In my research ive found that even though i look at photos of both bristle worms and fire worms, when im pulling the suckers out i dont know really what im pulling. I grabbed a small fat one today, im pretty sure its a fire worm, but i could definitely use an outside opinion. The one im attaching is a smaller one, about a half inch when i pulled him. Ive gotten a few 1 inch ones, and i know someplace in my tank is a 2 inch worm.

I want to move forward with switching my tank over, but i dont want to drop these guys into a new home especially if they are fire worms. I know they are in the sand, and in the rock as well. There are a few pieces of rock i know i can move over that i should be able to visually verify are clean. I dont want to loose the sand ive had in the tank, but i am nervous to move it over and transfer small ones i miss into the new tank. Im begining to think that getting new live sand may be for the best.

I am no expert with aquariums, but it seems ive gotten one headache after another, starting with a red slime outbreak which i took too long to realize it was out of control, to these worms. My tank has stabilized since the slime has been gone now a few months, and this seems to be my new headache. Any advice would be appreciated, especially helping identify this worm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Bristle worms, I know them well. They are a great scavenger but also can pose a danger to fish. Remove them w/tweezers. Arrow crabs will eat the smaller ones. I have a slight infestation going and tweezered about a dozen or so last night. You may look at how much your feeding as they are a sign of over feeding

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some say good, But I say bad. I hate them as they reproduce rather quickly. Left unchecked, then you have a real problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts