The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have just come across this forum and I am impressed. Seems full of nice and knowledgable people. I started a 180 gallon reef about 4 months ago, using DIY methods for about everything. I am really enjoying it.
However, my budget is spent now but I still have plenty of room for soft corals (really not interested in stony at this time).
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that would be interested in trading. I am really looking for some nice yellow leather coral frags, colorful tree corals, cabbage coral, and even bubble tip anemones. Since this is such a large tank, I would also be interested in adopting or purchasing anyone's large specimens that may have outgrown their tank.
I don't have alot of stuff to trade, but I do have some very pretty white/pink colt coral, some silver tip xenia, and could spare to trade a few blue mushrooms.
I hope to visit this site each night as I have already learned a great deal in just the few hours I have been reading through the forums. I now know that the skimmer I have been using is not very good (seaclone150) and that the article I read about 'crystal sea' salt was somewhat skewed (I was hooked by it for sure. I have been ordering by mail since I started even though IO and other name brands are sold locally for about the same price).
Well, we all live and learn. I hope to spend a great many years on this reef and I know I will learn more along the way. Any advice is always greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
Sean
:)

·
Super Moderator
27,091 Posts
WELCOME TO TRT!!!!

We're so glad you came to join us! We do have some other members from Kansas, so I'll point them to your thread.

Sorry to make this so short, Sean, but I'm running out of steam.
:(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ya Welcome ! I am sure that you can find some locals to hook you up w/ some softies. If you were here in WA I would donate to the cause. Good luck and read plenty, I am sure that you will be successful!

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
We're glad you found us!

Sounds like you have a good start on things. :)

What kind of lighting are you running on your tank?

~Alice

Attachments

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Welcome to TRT. I am always happy to see another reefer willing to learn and trade. If you ever make a road trip to MN stop by and I will to give you some frags. Care to give any more details about your setup?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
welcome to TRT!!!!!!! :beer:

·
One Happy Member
874 Posts
This is THE best place to come for information and friendly folks who love their reef tanks and love to help others in this wonderful hobby.

Welcome to the group!

Homer, a cheesehead from....

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Homer! Do you really think I love my reef tank? Do you really!! Gee thanks!:D

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
WELCOME TO TRT!

Attachments

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Hi and welcome! Where in Kansas are you? There's a very active reef group in KC, and we do a lot of get-togethers and frag swaps. Not a formal thing - just a bunch of reefers who hang out occasionally.

The local board is www.fishheads.org .

And we've got lots to trade!
Danielle

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Welcome Sean! I am in Kansas City (a few blocks down from the Smiths) :) Where are you at?

·
Registered
585 Posts
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Welcome to the friendliest place on the net. We hope you enjoy the time you spend with us. Never hesitate to ask any question. We are all here to help as much as we can.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I LOVE THOSE NEW SMILE!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Welcome to TRT! Let us know where you are located. The KC group is great!

Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for the great welcome!!! Here is more about my reef...

Hello all,
First to those of you that also live in KC, I live in Lenexa Ks, close to 83rd and Woodland, in a sub call Whispering Hills. I would love to here from you guys and get to know you all.
Some of you asked for more about my tank. Well, here goes.
It is a 180 Seaclear acrylic that I bought 8 years ago and just setp up not too long ago. I have 3 175 watt 12K bulbs, 2 5' VHO actinic days, and will be adding one 5' true actinic blue in the next few weeks. I have mostly soft corals, green star polyps, colts, xenias, mushrooms, 3 small frag green finger leathers, a green bubble, a pink bubble, and a purple/blue carnation. As far as fish, I have a large blue tang, yellow tang, sailfin tang, a fire clown, percula clown, sebae clown, 4 green chromis.
I am done with fish for some time now, but still plan on adding lots of soft corals as time and money permit. I am very much looking for a nice bright yellow toadstool leather, colorful tree corals, and more colts. I just love the stuff that grows tall and waves in the current. I really had visions of just filling my tank with colt corals but there is so much neat stuff out there that I quickly changed my mind (mostly).
I am afraid that I probably won't have too much advice for most of you here, but I will add my two cents worth when appropriate, but mostly here to enjoy the conversations and learn. I already learned so much last night.
Anyway, those who live in KC send me an email and lets me know when you all meet and what there may be to trade for. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Have a wonderful weekend all,
Sincerely,
Sean

1 - 20 of 26 Posts