The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any opinions on good cameras, or ones i should avoid?

I want to get a digital camera so i can share my tank and record some growth.

what is everyone else using????

·
Administrator
48,689 Posts
First thing you want to do is decide how much you can spend
from looking at a lot of reef Pics, Nikon, and Olympus mid to hi end cams rock
Those and the Fujifine pics are good, I shoot a kodak that does OK , it has 2.2 megapixel but digital zoom only :( get at least 3x zoom. 2+ megapixels. Make sure it uses a standard format memory card, not something exotic
The more megapixels the finer image potential, but the fewer images stored on the cam. Most cams have a good and best pic quality setting you can choose, best uses more megapix so eats up memory
My kodak has 8megs built in thats good for approx 50 pix in good quality(OK snapshots) with a 32 meg Compact Flash I can store like 200 and with the 64 I can store about 400
FWIW most of the pix I have posted here are at good setting, the cam when I bought it was $220 not discounted and I paid too much, mine has no optical zoom, thats a must. IMO

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brandon Keeps saying more than 3 megapixels and at least 2x optical zoom w. digital zoom too

hes expecting us to spend aprox 400 - 600 for a good one.

any suggestions that come to mind?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a fuji finepicks 2800

Features
2.11 megapixel CCD (1/2.7" CCD)
Effective output of 1600 x 1200 pixels
Huge 6 x Optical zoom lens
Equavalent to 38-228mm on 35mm
2.5 x Digital Zoom
Simple USB connection
Accepts smartmedia cards
EVF Electronic Viewfinder
18" LCD Monitor display on rear

Great camera, though I cant for the life of me figure out how folks here get such beautiful picks of their tanks. Mine are always blurry. Has to be something I'm doing.

Otherwise it's a great camera, simple to use has come down in price a lot. It's a great camera for day to day pictures. My wife and I took pictures on vacation and when we loaded them up on the PC ( nice led monitor helps ) it was like looking at a 3d image.

Anyone able to give me a few tips on why I'm getting horrid shots of my tank?
PS
Woops put up the wrong specs, put up the specs for a 304 this is now the right set. Sorry about that.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, I have been taking pictures Professionally and non professionally for about 15 years. Digital was really a hard sell for me, I mean it had to do all my Minolta X-700 did!

Minolta DiMage 5 - was my final choice - still haven't seen any others that come close. It's really good for macro photography and general purpose. On my website you can see some photo albums. Any questions before you shell out $700 or more, please let me know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.