The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to catch my Hardwicke Wrasse with a "denvig" type trap: a small reptile container with a door that closes using an elastic . The door is kept open by a popsicle stick tied to my "fishing pole". I just pull the fishing string when the fish enters to eat the food inside attached to a piece of rock with elastics.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First Catch!

Well I caught a fish with the trap...the wrong fish. My Naso Tang eneterd the trap and could not get out even though I did not shut the trap door!
Boy he was pissed! Seemed like turkey basting the mysis around so that it floats out of the top of the tap is what got him to go in. The Hardwicke Wrasse goes to sleep early and was nowhere to be found....but tomorrow is another day!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading an article on catching fish, I think I am REALLY going fishing for my wrasse. I have some really small hooks. I just need to cut of the barbs and get some good bait...like squid that won't slip off the hook.

Probably will try it this weekend...then I cab replace my cleaner shrimp once I succesfully catch the wrasse.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Chuck Spyropulos said:
After reading an article on catching fish, I think I am REALLY going fishing for my wrasse. I have some really small hooks. I just need to cut of the barbs and get some good bait...like squid that won't slip off the hook.

Probably will try it this weekend...then I cab replace my cleaner shrimp once I succesfully catch the wrasse.
My husband was able to catch a wrasse out of our tank with a hook It was quite entertaining

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fishing

:funny: :funny: :funny:
A fishin' we will go!
A fishin' we will go!
To save our little cleaner shrimps
A fishin' we will go!

:funny: :funny: :funny:

dobejazz said:
My husband was able to catch a wrasse out of our tank with a hook It was quite entertaining

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hook was useless. I found directions for a better trap. It is basically a box with a sliding trap door. The cool thing about it is the feed tube that runs from the top of the trap to the surface of the water in the display tank. The fish are fed for a few days via the tube and then you hold the line and let it go when the right fish is in the box.

I am making the box out of "non-clear" acrylic as suggested by someone online in another forum. The clear acrylic supposedly confuses and scares the fish.

I'll post pictures of the trap when it is completed by the weekend, I hope!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finished the trap today and it is in the tank. I am feeding only through the feed tube and several fish are hanging in and around the trap....but not the Hardwicke Wrasse yet. Hopefully he will mimic his buddies!

I'll post pictures of the trap later tonight or tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts