The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... So I'm moving in June, and am working on the planning stage for moving the tank.

It's a standard 29g, with a 20g sump, beananimal overflow system. Currently I'm running with LR (probably about 30ish lbs) and LS (20lb). I am planning to use the move as a good time to change it up a bit. I am planning to go bare bottom in the move, and take out the sand, I don't want the phosphate sponge, and am honestly tired of siphoning it.

My question is if my plan will work. I am planning to buy a bundle of buckets, probably 5g home depot buckets, and filling them at the new place with fresh RODI water, and mixing the salt, getting them all ready to go. I will transport the live stuff in bags (coral frags still pretty small) and use the tank water to fill them, and put them all in a bucket with temp controlled water for holding till I'm ready with the setup.

I'll empty the tank, pull out all the sand, give the LR a VERY thorough cleaning, while keeping it underwater mind you, then rinse it quickly in clean water, get the detritus off, and then fill the tank at the new place, adding the cleaned rock, no sand, and then once the temp is right, add in all the coral and the fish. I have a refractometer, which I intend to use to get the salinity of the new water as close as I can to matching their current salinity, get the temp as close as I can, to minimize re-acclimation, and minimize the possibility of killing the corals.

How does all this sound? Any holes in the game plan?

Thanks!
-Scott

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
+1
Be careful with adding your live stock back too. I moved my 36 across town and killed like 4 things including a lobster. Haha. It's stressful moving even more stressful adding an established reef in the mix. I wish you luck my friend.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be careful, and will get the tank up to temp before adding the LR back! Don't want any Die off.

What do you guys think about going BB? I will still run some macro algae in the sump, chaeto for now, just to help with phosphates. I'm hoping that should be all I need!

-Scott

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I like bb but I like the natural look of a sand bed. It's really a personal choice. Before you move and set up the tank. Look for an additive for your tank. I thinks it's aba saltwater starter. Ill look up the name in a sec. It has alot of naturally occurring bacteria in it the will help with the start up of the new tank. It's like a cycle in a bottle. I use it when I put new fish in or help people move.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
so what are u planning for the sand? replacing or rinsing it out? i just recently moved my tank and i couldnt afford to replace the sand but let me tell you i would definitely rinse it out with SALT WATER. dont rinse it with fresh haha it will kill everythingggg. u wont believe all the CRAP that comes out of it lol and as far as stopping a cycle i have used nutrafin cycle in 8 tanks now and havent had a cycle once. it is great stuff but i would reccommend doubling the dose (it seems to have better effect)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks for all the help. The move went well, however I regret to say I still have sand for now. I haven't found just yet how I'm gonna be getting the sand out of the tank. I think I'll have to set up a holding tank for my LR and put it all in there, drain the DT, and scoop the sand out as best I can.... Then I'll use a PH or turkey baster or something to blast the LR a bit before putting it back. I realized I didn't have a container large enough to move my larger LR structure when I moved, so I had to drain the tank about halfway, keeping that structure underwater in the DT to prevent any die-off... It worked really well, but it meant I wasn't able to get my sand out...

Oh well hehe. At least EVERYTHING has survived so far, no deaths yet, and no mini-cycle yet. the move was saturday.

-Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts