The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for a few days. ;)

The Sedra pump on my old Euro-Reef ES5-3 skimmer on my 155 just died. Tried soaking it in vinegar for a few hours, but it’s locked up tight. Time for a new skimmer.

Since my 155 is my soft coral tank, I decided to buy another Euro-Reef - a CS135. It has a little larger diameter chamber than the ES5-3 and a stronger pump. I’ll, probably, still have to add an extension to the riser pipe to get it to skim wet, but it should work well.

I still have a Euro-Reef ES5-3 on my 180. It does a very good job for an anemone and Euphyllia-dominated tank.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
jack before you pitch it try just getting a new impeller ! the plastic around the magnet tends to swell up and cause it to not spin . mine would spin if i spun it by hand but as soon as you unplugged it and plugged it back in it would not work ! i then went out and bought a new sedra ,put the new impeller in the old pump and it work just like new ! be a lot cheaper than a whole new skimmer:thumbup: ! or i got this monster of a skimmer i'll sell ya :rotflmao: ! just kidding .

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 120 did for a while, but not any more. I've never had detectible nitrate in my 155 or 180.

My 155 is my oldest tank. Except for a sandbed removal session back in December last year, it has been running continuously for over 3 years.

The old ES5-3 on my 155 always ran dry. Maybe a half a skimmer cup of skimmmate a day and very dark color. I could tell the nutrient levels in the water were high because I had to clean algae off the glass every three or four days. The fish and soft coral didn't care. They just keep going and going and going. Except for a new, baby Queen Angel, all the fish and coral are the original stock I purchased back in the spring of 2003.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gwaco said:
jack before you pitch it try just getting a new impeller ! the plastic around the magnet tends to swell up and cause it to not spin . mine would spin if i spun it by hand but as soon as you unplugged it and plugged it back in it would not work ! i then went out and bought a new sedra ,put the new impeller in the old pump and it work just like new ! be a lot cheaper than a whole new skimmer:thumbup: ! or i got this monster of a skimmer i'll sell ya :rotflmao: ! just kidding .
I don't mind getting a whole new Euro-Reef. For some reason the Euro-Reef on my 155 never worked as well as the Euro-Reef on my 180, even though they are the same model.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Weatherman said:
I don't mind getting a whole new Euro-Reef. For some reason the Euro-Reef on my 155 never worked as well as the Euro-Reef on my 180, even though they are the same model.
so much for your summer statis quo!:funny:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hadn’t put in a large order with Marine Depot since early April.

I was long overdue. :)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
High nutrient and still no nitrate! Dang it.

I'm not putting a single fish in either of my tanks until my nitrate drops to 0. Both have new rock, uncooked, so I bet it is still settling in. I bet in 3 months or so, about the time cooking would be completed, my nitrate will also drop to 0.

Sorry for the brief sidetrack, but I just remembered that you ran at least one high nutrient tank and I wanted to see if you had nitrate in it.

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, never have. In fact, for a long time I thought something was wrong with my Salifert nitrate test kit. The test water was always clear. The brief spike in nitrate in my 120 (up to 5 ppm) confirmed the test kit was ok.

I don't know why my 155 and 180 have never had detectible nitrate. They just never have.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. The rock in the 155 and 180 was never cooked, even after the sand beds were removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts