The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im leaving and going away for 4-5 days next thursday. We are going to visit the New York aquarium and the and the adventure aquarium (reviewed here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i4/NJ_Aquarium/NJ_Aquarium.htm)
sopposidly very good aquarium)

well anyway what Am I going to do about top off, I have no means of ATO, my girlfriend who usually does top off while im away is out of the country, and the neighbors are not to be trusted.

What to do?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I am not sure, but maybe you could scale your lighting back for a few days, just cut back on how many hours the lights are on? This will help to keep some of the evaporation back...also you would put a good tight top on the tank...something to keep the water in. Just for the short term I would think this is ok...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The other thing you could do is buy a 20 gal container (something like a tupperware tub), attach a 1/4" outgoing airline hose and put a float valve (http://www.purelyh2o.com/product.php?productid=16138&cat=0&page=1) on your sump. Not sure if you can drill your sump or maybe there is noe you can buy that drilling is not needed.

This is a solution that will only cost you about $20, but I am not sure if it is feasible for your set-up.

·
11,345 Posts
heres about a $7 solution.
You can rig up a super cheap top off with a $.49 cent dripline sprinkler valve, a bulkhead and a couple of reducing fittings, and a container of water.
Just have a container big enough for the water you will need while you are gone sitting above your sump......(or tank if you dont have a sump). reduce the bulkhead down to take the 1/4" drip line and open teh valve to a drip. Between now and then if you set it up today or tomorrow you will be able to play with the drip to get it close enough to suffice for the time you are gone. Feed decently before you leave and everything will be fine.

I just thought about it a little more and you could accomplish this without the bulkhead OR the container....just get the fitting that hooks to a garden hose to accept the dripline so your garden hose will be your water supply....but i forget i live on a well when i think of things like thast so depending on how bad your tap water/ and or hose water is that might not be an option

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill, do you mean I could just have a container with a hole drilled init, and have a consistant drip into the sump as would kalkwasser?

·
11,345 Posts
You got it. For risk managemnet purposes i would just use water though and i wouldnt mess with your light timing...just start experimenting now to get your drip right. I know of several people who use that method to top off all the time. As long s you are around every couple of days to monitor it you could use that cheap method forever....BUT the ones who are doing it as a general practice are using better valves than drip line valves.....

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fly Guy said:
You got it. For risk managemnet purposes i would just use water though
yes indeed. I have a few 1 gallon container with ini bulkheads so I could attach airline tubing with a contro valve and wal ah

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
bingo! Get a 5 gallon bucket, some tubing, 1/4" connector and 1/4" ball valve (~$2).

drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket. Silicone/glue the connector in the hole, plug the tubing in. Run the tubing down to the sump. ADjust the ball valve to one drip per second (or so..adjust accordingly), and viola.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The float valve I mentioned would work for that exact setup...just need a way to attach...can you drill a small hole in your sump? Then you don't need to drip...it will be managed by the valve.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
OK here is a pic of what i had. It would sit on top of my sump and drip near the water inlet side so i can mix with the tank water well before being pumped back into the tank.

if you are only gone for 4-5 days i wouldn't worry about having to feed the fish. I have been gone for that amount of time and just used this top off and have someone come check on it to fill the top off up. I told them not to feed because i didn't want to come home to an algae mess and everything was fine in that period of time.

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts