The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a engineer goby about a week ago. I was able to check him out the first day but since then I couldn't find him he has been missing for about the whole week. I pick up the rocks a tiny bit he isnt under any of them so im guessing he buried himself but my question is how am I going to know if he is dead or not? Shouldn't I have seen him by now?

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
When I first bought my watchman goby I ensured I placed a lid on my tank. But the next day I too thought he escaped. I tried looking under the rocks best I could, but assumed the worst. About 2 days later I discovered he comes out late at night from a crafty little cave on the back side of my rockwork. After about 2 weeks, he's finally out and about during the day.

You may try using moonlights and checking the tank late at night (was around 1am for me).

·
Registered
139 Posts
My engineer that i bought as a juvi always swam. he was about 1 1/2 inches. hes now about 8 inches and digs under rocks. i can find him anytime just looking around i can see his stripes. then feeding time he comes out and eats out my hand.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought an engineer goby 3 weeks ago and I hadn't seen him since I put him in the tank. I even told my lfs that he died and I was waiting for another one to come in. They told me that they hide under rocks and you hardly ever see them. Just tonight one of my kids spotted him under a rock toward the back of the tank (he's in my 210) and I couldn't believe it. I would have bet $100 he was dead. Don't lose faith, I bet he's in there somewhere. When you feed watch under the rocks closely and you may see him poking in and out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts