The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen one of my paired clowns lying on the sand bed from time to time and i didn't know why. So today i found out that my diamond watchman gobie is picking on the smaller (Male i guess) clown and the female just sits back and watch's. I know everyone will say take one out but when the smaller clown is not close or lower to the sand bed hes fine swims and eats and everything is all good , this happens mostly when the lights are out .

Thanks all

·
Registered
320 Posts
maybe an anemone would help as long as its on the rocks that would make the clown to sleep in the anemone as long as the clowns host the anemone. hope this helps

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
+1 on getting a nem for the clown to hide in, presuming of course that you don't yet have one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes , Yes, Yes , this was next on my list, but i am in the middle of a sump build for it , i am adding a protein skimmer that should get here today or tmrw. The protein skimmer i have now ,works so poorly that its like if i dont even have one.

Will the female kick the male out if its not big enough? or Vise Verse
thanks

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
In my limited experience, the larger (and therefore presumably female) clown is always dominant. If they are a mated pair they will share an anenome. Even if it's small. Though the female may claim the most nem time. Nems change size all day long, and it's really a lot of fun to watch my pair scramble for a bit of comfort when their nem has decided to shrink up. One thing, though: clowns are not gentle, and hosting can be tough on a small nem, so get a larger one if you can. Good luck with your build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts