The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only weeks of set up, I am now looking to start a bigger tank as well. I am thinking 75 gal as this is the max I have room for. I am still looking at foot prints to see what I can fit. I'm sure to need help from our plumbing guru as I have no clue there :cool:......my first sump....

· The Watcher
2,053 Posts
Yeah go for a 90!

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That will work. I will look at the 90 now. I have $2,400 to spend since the hubbie said " you can get what every you want with that money." He was talking size and new set up. I was shocked! I am the fish guru in our home and am surprised at how interested he is in my "new" hobby. (salt vs. fresh) That and he really wants a new Les Paul guitar. And they run about $2,000-4,000. Think he's trying to butter me up?

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Depending on what you're keeping you may need more powerful lighting on a 90 that you wouldnt need on a 75 because of the depth. That was my driving factor on choosing the 75 when I did. And even now i'm running 2x250 MH bulbs with T5s. But like I say it depends on what you want to keep.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had been looking at a 55 for just that reason. The depth of the tank. But I want something a bit bigger that 55gal. I want a bigger footprint without adding a whole lot of depth. Half tempted to build an acrylic in the dimensions I want....just a bit leery about a ton of water in something I built....LOL

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Depending on what you're keeping you may need more powerful lighting on a 90 that you wouldnt need on a 75 because of the depth. That was my driving factor on choosing the 75 when I did. And even now i'm running 2x250 MH bulbs with T5s. But like I say it depends on what you want to keep.
I know the argument for depth...but a 90 is not really that deep. I'm using only t5's, and have a maxima on the sandbed, and some of my mushrooms were burnt despite acclimation. 250's and t5's on a 90g would be all you could ever need...at the most.

I do like the point of having a wide & shallow tank, mostly for the landscaping and looks of a peninsula tank, but also because you can get away with less intense lighting. This business of 400w MH bulbs is a bit crazy IMO

· The Watcher
2,053 Posts
250 watt halides will be more than enough. a 75 is easier to work in since you do not have to reach your arm in as far to do maint on the bottom. However I prefer the extra water and swimming room.

· The Watcher
2,053 Posts
Here is a pic of mine I took yesterday, This is a 90 gallon with 2*250 and 1*150. The center brace on the 90 pretty much makes the 150 useless. I am getting plenty of growth even on the stuff at the bottom.

· Registered
686 Posts
Reefer Madness...have you ever thought of a corner tank? A 92 gallon corner tank would give you depth and a lot of room to work with and look really cool.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking more like a shallow type run. Longer but not deep. The more I think about it, the 55 might be the right choice. A narrow, longer tank that isn't too tall.

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Ah, then you definately need this tank. :D

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=165&idproduct=392

As thats too expensive for your budget (and most of ours at like $5,000), seriously I'd do the 75. I did a 55 before my 75 you'll find yourself in the same boat your in, wanting something bigger. As it keeps the same footprint as a 55 with just a few more inches in depth (front to back) you can also get it reef ready so it will make plumbing your sump and everything in much easier.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
I just saw my first one (ELOS) in person...and must tell you that they are the most impressive piece of glass you could imagine. You almost don't need corals & fish...and I mean that! They are very shallow (20" or so) but the xl's are 30" wide. Talk about inspiring. The price is steep, but for a show tank there is little else that compares.

· Registered
2,335 Posts
If you were to go with either a 75 or a 90 and wanted a hood, I know where there might be one for sale soon :) because my sister went with the 2 75's we are thinking about scrapping the hood on the one and just going with matching fixtures.

Thanks
Cary

· Registered
2,518 Posts
48x13x20....Can that be right? That means front to back your tank would be barely bigger than a foot. All your rock work will have to be stacked vertically. Also it doesnt look like its pre-drilled. Do you have idea's for overflows then for your sump?

· Premium Member
3,275 Posts
It's a pretty tank, but I agree with Nick. 13" would be very narrow. It doesn't give you hardly any depth to work with, which would make the overall appearance and your aquascaping interesting, to say the least. Finally, I really urge you to steer clear of an acrylic tank. They scratch REALLLLLLLLLLLY easily, and I can't tell you how many "HELP, I SCRATCHED MY ACRYLIC TANK!!!!!" threads I've read on Reef Central while browsing the equipment forums every day. They require special scrapers, and even then it's easy to scratch one by accident. I like the expression: "If you even look at an acrylic tank funny, it'll get a scratch."

Finally, the lack of it being reef-ready means you either go without a sump and have all the unsightly equipment inside the display tank, or you go with an external overflow that requires space between the tank and wall and could possibly lead to a flood all over your floor if it were to fail in any way.

I'm really sorry I couldn't say anything nice about that tank other than that it looks nice in the picture, but I think you'd be happier with a tank made out of glass that gives you more depth to work with. Just my $.02 to chime in with.

-Joe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.