The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question - What does everyone use to glue the live rocks together?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Suwanee Ga?

That is where I live! Hello neighbor....

As for you question...

The only glue that I use is super glue for fragging out corals...You can't glue your rocks together really..You can use putty that you can order of the net...It must be marine putty!

I was going to do that with my tank but changed my mind...Once you putty it, forget ever changing your aquascaping. I stacked mine on top of each other...If you find the right groves it won't budge! I have never had anything fall over, well I take that back I have a few tonga branch pieces that my large snails can nock over.

You can also drill holes in it and tie it together with wire ties...You can even mount all of that to pvc...That is the best way really...Nothing falls and is very sturdy....Plus you can make some really cool formations.....

What size is your tank and how much rock do you have?

Clay

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I use some of the epoxy putty sold in fish stores. It is easy to take apart but if you don't use it fast after letting the colors mix, it will cure some before you use it and won't stick worth beans. I personnaly like for large rocks, is to drill two holes, get those pvc threaded things (like screw tips on both sides) and twist them together. I use the epoxy (since coralline will grow on it) to cover up what is visible.

Ray

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have a 38gal reef tank that I want to upgrade. I'm going to take a look at CaptSammy's 120galRR today or tomorrow. If I like what I see, I'll be the proud owner of a 120gal RR.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Dang, sounds like you have the plan in motion. Something that I tried was making my own live rock, however it seems that if you go to the Hawaiian rock site, you can get a 50 lbs of base rock for 69 bucks and that includes shipping.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts