The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big fish in a small pond.
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with them? They have some nice rimless frag tanks that I thought would be nice for incorporation into my 70 gal build. They don't seem badly priced either so I was just curious to hear stories good or bad about the quality of the product.

~Danny

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I have 3 of their tanks, all 33 longs. The silicon work is not the greatest, but they serve the purpose that I am using them for.

Sump, ATO reservoir, Waterchange Loop tank.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Agreed with the others. If you're going for standard size tank and aren't terribly concerned with the silicon job's aesthetics, it should be fine. If you want a custom build to your specs (dimension, overflow placement, etc.), be prepared to have it screwed up and be at your expense.

·
Registered
545 Posts
my new tank is a **asscages tank. i refuse to give them any credit in my build threads, though. they were straight up wrasseholes to me every time i talked to them after the initial order and changed my delivery date TWICE (not cool when you are lining up help to move a large tank). never again will they get my business.

the tank itself works for what it is. i will note the sloppy silicone work (expected that), but also the glass is not perfectly square (didn't expect that). so far it is holding water and standing up to a ~3" wave.

·
Big fish in a small pond.
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that is good to know. Thanks for all the info everyone. I love this site haha. I know everyone preaches that the people hear can help you fix whatever problems you have but I think at least in my case seeing that I started asking here before doing anything really that the people here have prevented a lot of problems that I definitely would have encountered before they ever happened. So once again, thanks for the helpful information on what could have been another problem down the line.

~Danny

Oh and it's Sunpod day :dance:

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
My 180 gallon is a GlassCages tank and it has been up and running for over two years now. I live in Maryville, TN which is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from their location outside of Nashville. I have been there to see their operation when I purchased a canopy for the tank and picked it up myself. I will say ... if your in the market for a larger tank, they can be pretty competitive in price. As for customer service, well you have to understand their operation. The guy that runs the show owns his own freight company and thus can buy material in bulk. He also works out of large metal warehouse style bulidings and employs workers that have relocated from our southern hispanic neighbor south of Texas. GlassCages is a side business I believe and thus the customer service and quality variance. The tank I have actually doesn't look that bad in regards to silicone work and trim. Of course in my case I didn't really care what the trim looked like as I was covering it up with a canopy anyway and for the cost savings, I figured I could clean up any silicone issues. If you are doing something relatively straight forward, it probably would be fine. If you are doing something more complex (multiple holes for a closed loop, an odd style oveerflow, etc) it might be a good idea to go with someone else.

·
Registered
809 Posts
i was actually looking at them for a larger tank until now

·
Registered
812 Posts
I will also say that some of their prices for unusual sized rimless tanks is quite low (square tanks & stuff like that). While I again am not going to say that they are built with too much quality. I will say that a LFS near me only has glasscages tanks, and their 48"x48"x18" lagoon looks quite sharp, and was extremely cheap compared to tanks from mrc or aquariumobsessed who in my opinion have uncomparably better build quality and customer service.

All in all if you can handle bad customer service you can get a pretty good price. IMO

·
Registered
307 Posts
So if the general consensus is that glasscages is no good...what would be a better alternative for an inexpensive glass tank...or say a Sump or something? Other than craigslist. :)

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Well ... that's the problem I have found. It is hard to find places that do custom stuff for what I would consider to be an acceptable price. I know the old addage tht you get what you pay for ... but really ... how many of you have needed to call the tank manufacturer after you buy the tank. I've been in this hobby for almost 15 years now and have never needed to call All-Glass, Perfecto, or anyone else I've bought a tank from. I have had tanks leak and crack, but that usually happens well after the warranty has expired or I've been doing my own mods that have caused the glass to crack. GlassCages has crappy customer service ... I'm not disputing that. But for my part ... I felt like I could endure a couple of less than ideal phone calls for a tank that cost me almost $300 less than what my LFS wanted and $350 - $400 less than what I was being quoted elsewhere at the time. If you have a low tolerance for rude people ... then don't fool with them. If you can tolerate them to get a savings .. why not.

·
Registered
545 Posts
exactly. i knew full well gc's reputation before i ever considered them. it was the price that drove my purchase. custom sized tank 80x24x25, front starphire, eurobraced, and custom center overflow for $1100 - i can't complain. yes, they were exactly as described throughout the transaction - but i intend to never have to talk to them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will not do business with them under the gunpoint. These bustards managed to raise my blood pressure like no one else before. Rude, harassing a..holes. They behaved as they actively DID NOT want my business. Did not answer my e-mails or phone calls, demanded me to send them the drawing of a standard overflow plan that they do thousands of times for other customers. I do not care what their prices are - I am not going to eat sh--t just to save couple bucks. I do not know how the company with such reputation for both the quality and customer service can survive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts