The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have read sooo many posts before choosing this vendor. I figure it would be helpful to those who had to make a decision in deciding Glasscages or not based on their outstanding price, while many question their quality. I actually purchased a custom made aquarium that cost $1100 which included a custom made canopy, stand and glass top. The price I guess wasn't so bad since it was custom made.

Anyways, here is a journal I started for my reef. You can see some of the pictures of the tank made from glasscages. I actually haven't put water in it yet. I was instructed to wait 3 weeks after the manufacturer date(03-22-04) before filling it with water. To be on the safe side, I'm going to wait 4 weeks. Then I'll post more pics up.

If anyone has questions about my experiences with them, feel free to drop me a PM or email. Thanks for looking!

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~tsv23/aqua.html

·
Registered
637 Posts
why wait 3 weeks? For the glue to cure? I am thinking about getting them to make me a custom 10 gallon nano from acrylic...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this was what he says in his email:

"Silicone cures when the atmosphere penetrates it. In the plastic coulking tube it doesn't cure until it is applied. The same is true in the seams of the tank - the atmosphere has to penetrate the silicone in the seam before it hardens.

Whatever your perimeter support stand is , it needs 3/4 styrofaom on top and the tank sits on top of the styrofaom. You can use the styrofoam in the packing crate.

I would feel better going over this on the phonewhere we can discuss all issues that may come up. After you receive thte tank we can go over the stand and it's preperation. A stand with 4 legs is not sufficient.

Thanks

www.glasscages.com

615-446-8877"

·
Registered
187 Posts
NICE TANK

Sharp looking tank you've got there.

What type of wood did they build the stand and canopy from ?

Are you going to stain or laminate it? What color?

I'm curious, did you ask the Manufacturer about the mysterious cashew shells?

With Opening Day last week I thought they'd leave peanut shells.

:cool:

PJ

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure what type of wood -- but i am in the process of staining it and laminating it. Actually finished staining it. I'll post more pics up later. Heh, if you look closely, you can see cashew shells in the pic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience with Glasscages.com went extraordinarily well. I read a million reviews. When I called them, I could tell I was in good hands. The order went smooth. I ordered a large cube and a stand. The glass is high-quality low iron. The seams were solid. The build was square. The stand is very attractive, thick walled with quality hinges on the door that pop off easily for maintenance. They helped me through the many questions on the build and the delivery. They pick up the phone when called which was a big plus for me. I would highly recommend them.

Attachments

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
MAN Ya did yourself some real digging to find that old thread.......THAT'S what we need to get back around here, and a load of folks agree.....a 'REVIEW FORUM'. Used to have one, but fell by the way side from inactivity. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to TRT Simifa by the way. Best to You,
Hack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts