The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Here's a tough one guys, and maybe you can help:

I have a 10 Gal aquarium, and I am tempted to put it on a fancy glass bookshelf I have. Now, I'm fine for space here, but what I worried about is weather the glass of the shelf will hold the aquarium.

factors:

1) I reckon the tank will weigh about 100lbs when fill. Maybe 120 with substrate?

2) I am fairly sure the bookshelf is made of tempered glass.

3) The dimensions are 36 by 13

4) However, the glass is supported at the *edges* rather than underneath.

5) Glass is about 1/4 inch thick.

Any guidance here? Most of the calculations I have seen for glass holding capacity assume the supports are underneath the glass, rather than around the edges. The glass sits in the frame like a try.

I am leaning toward not doing it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
When I was a lil kid my mom ha a glass table with a tank on it, I think 10gal, maybe 15, freshwater. One day I was acting like my lil brother was an airplane and I took it too far and, well he became an airplane and went head first into the table. He had to get ditches but the table didn't break. It was an end table probably 2ft x 2ft and supported by only the tips of the base (the metal legs came to a point and that point is what was touching the glass) supported about 3-4 in inside the rim underneath, glass was about 3/8ths in thick. I'm daily certain on the stats of the table because we still have it. Hope that either helps or makes you laugh lol

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I have no idea about the math that would go into determining how much weight that shelf would support. But I keep thinking that would be like me standing on a glass shelf supported on only the edges. Yeah, uh... no. Scary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts