The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in this LEARNING-MODE with this board.....

Please give me the TOP 3 things you test for in your SW tank >AND< what products/equipment you use to test them with

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wiskey said:
#1 Phosphate (I test by looking at how long it takes algae to build on the front glass)

#2 Alk, Salifert test kit.

#3 CA, Salifert test kit.

#4 N03, Salifert test kit.

HTH,
Whiskey
How long should it take to get some algae on the glass? After two days, there is definately some green on my glass. Not too much, but it's there.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
2 is to soon levels must be up you should easily be able to go for 3 to 5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a new tank, still cycling
Amm, nitrite, nitrate....Phosphate...sorry I cheated that's 4

Established tank
Ca, Alk, Mg

All my kits are Salifert. :cool:

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
cobray said:
How long should it take to get some algae on the glass? After two days, there is definately some green on my glass. Not too much, but it's there.
I never get green, only a light dusting of whiteish stuff. I would push that out to 3 or 4 days if I were you. Consentrate on getting fish poo out of the system by skimming wet, and syphoning your sand regularly.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ph tested all the time by AC3 controller
Temp Tested by AC3 controller

Every other day
Nitrate - salifert
calcium - salifert
alk - salifert
SG - Instant Ocean hydrometer

Once a week or so

Phosphate - red sea test kit ( soon to be salifert)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
#1 temp - digital displays and digital controller
#2 Salinity - digital salinity meter
#3 PH - pin point PH meter & controller

Thats really all I ever test for. I don't dose anything and I use a calcium reactor for everything else plus 10% water change every other week.

My number 1 thing would be the salinity if I didn't have MH the temp would be the number 3 thing but having 3150 watts over your tank can really create some heat.

Salinity is number 2 because I have a tendancy to skim very wet and I need to replenish my salt every day along with my top off water. I prolly change 2% of my water weekly just from skimming the tank. I bet I skim 5 gallons easy weekly and my Bioload is extremly low right now. I be when the tanks are full I may not need to do an official water change., by then I may be skimming 50 gallons a week out of the tank.

I test the PH continuously because I am running a calcium reactor and I need to watch that my CO2 levels don't effect the PH.

I will prolly move the PH to number 1 and the salinity to number 2 once I get my chiller and my tanks full. I will have to crank my CR up by then.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have a small setup that I do water changes on every week. I don't add anything extra. So this is what I test.
Ph
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrites and Nitrates

1 - 13 of 13 Posts