The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am also the person who has the tarantula like crab! (He is "gone" now!). I got HIM out while I was trying to find the FOOT LONG BRISTLEWORM I had seen the previous night!!!!!He is big and ugly and very, very scary.:help:
I tried a trap last night with some scallops but no one came. And I know I have more than the one because I have seen them. I was so desperate I even took out some of my big rocks for 15 minutes to get them out but only one little stinker came! I want to get another fish or 2 but not until monster worm is GONE! I have a 24 gallon nano with soft corals and a mandarin goby and a one eyed banner cardinal (not due to the bristle worm!) So bristle worm experts help!
Trap I made out of a tupperware with an X cut at the top.
Joanne

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you cant find it in your rock, a few other places it could be.

First question have you noticed your flow of your return has gone down? When they get that big they like to find PVC tube to crawl into. I hope this is not the case.

Have you dipped your rocks in FW. This will remove alot of unwanted/wanted creatures though.

third QT your rock in another bin or tank and see if he comes out of the sand on your 24gal or if he is swimming around the tank with the rock.

Good luck catching him. I hope mine done get that big.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No big reduction in water flow thank god because I would not want to stick my hand in there! I did do a freshwater dip on the rocks I took out but no luck. I think maybe he is in the sand, is that possible? I do have to take my tank down to move in the next few weeks so I guess I will have to hunt him down if not before!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I try and put a piece of PVC pipe in there? Or one of those clay breeding caves?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is VERY thin. He was my first fish, about 8 months ago. He is constantly on the verge of starvation and I HATE IT! I found something he can eat though and it works well. The little orange salmon roe you can get at a sushi store or japanese market. My fish go crazy for it and it is the easiest thing for him to get. Otherwise he can eat live brine and some frozen food, i am sure just because he is so hungry. I worry about him with the monster bristle worm though because he is kind of frail.

·
11,345 Posts
The bristleworm will not harm your fish. Id just name him and show him off if i were you.

You need to give that mandarin to someone whos system can support it or in the VERY near future he will die........and THEN the bristleworm will eat him. Those fish eat more than you can imagine and getting him to nibble here and there is just prolonging his agony. You are watching him starve to death. You will hardly EVER see a healthy mandarin just kickin it. They eat pods ALL day long.

Thats a 5 gallon bucket and 18" tongs for size reference.

He was my pet until he got sucked up into a mag 36...may he rest in pieces

Attachments

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
The bristleworm is icky looking, but prolly not dangerous to anything. I have a bunch of big ones in my nano, and they haven't done any harm.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i also heard that cardinals will not do well unless they are in a group of three or more because in nature they feel safer with numbers.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My cardinal fish came free because he has one eye. He is doing just fine. I think he feels safer that way because he is "handicapped". If anyone with a big tank lives in the Chicago area, I would part with my goby.
The bristle worm is GONE! I caught him last night and I am glad he is gone. Did not like him, he was ICKY! may he rest in peace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
jy13131, i live in Naperville area. I have a 90gal 1 year running. I had a Dragon but due to a Cali rock slid i lost him. I could help you out. If you ever get a bigger tank you can get him back. no questions asked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had some bristle that size and was very concerned. Everyone I have ever talk to said, other than being ugley, they are not a problem to anything. I've also had single cardinals and they are very happy by themselves.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the support on the cardinal! I will find a better home for my goby. That bristleworm was munching on the hard part of my balloon coral one night, so say what they might, this guy had beady black eyes, a mouth and some serious head gear. I am GLAD HE IS GONE!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey! You are in Minnesota? I just dropped my daughter off to wilderness camp near gooseberry falls! I miss her! She did not go willingly!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Everyone thinks bristle worms look ugly... Well the huge ones do but the smaller ones are pretty cool looking to me... but im 14.. what do i know lol :funny:

·
Registered
482 Posts
i used to have several 8" ones in my 40g... it was pretty fun when i would occasionally feed the tank and they would come out of the rock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts