The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is for my 55 gallon. It's kind of my first tank because I started a smaller one before I really understood how stocking works. When you are a beginner it seems logical to start with a small tank, and the LFS will tell you that all sorts of fish will be happy in there. Not so. I got this on Craigslist, I think it will be worth it. This is a link to my first tank if you are trying to decide whether to start bigger, you can see how it went for me. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f77/157-50-ghetto-build-worst-case-scenario-224793.html
I made it in the think tank forum because I wanted to discuss tap water, and why you need to spead $ for different things right in the beginning. But I needed so much help that it wound up more like a regular noob build. That's why I'm putting this one here, also so non-members can read it too cause I did a lot of that before I made an account.

I got some of my tools out of storage, I can't wait to get started!

LINKS
I'm gonna try keeping links to my tangent threads here. There are so many different things to think about and plan for, and they all overlap. Like, I wanted to get my overflow pump early so I can cure my rock cement but that meant I had to think about the flow rate through my sump. When it's time to do the sump I'm gonna be like "wth was I thinking buying this pump?" so if I can link back from here I won't have to start from scratch.

Pump - pump
Lights - lights
Stock - fishes
Pipes - plastic
Overflow - siphon flow
Remote DSB - DSB
Sand - sand poll

Wow, look at all those noob questions! I have gotten so much help from this site:beer:

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just did my grandma's trust for her. Or tried to. It made my brain die a little, so I gave up and went to legal zoom. :(
Excited for you! And pitying you a little for the brain melting final...
That's awesome! Lotta lawyers harsh on legalzoom, but I think it's rotten how much legal services cost, specially estate planning cause it's so important, and I'm sure you CYA'd. Free wills for all! Quit posting your fallow back pasture! [oh wait, this ones not in the think tank :p]

Pity me more than a little, you can't see the ankle shackle in the pic below but that's pretty much my world for 5 more days. oh god only 5 days gtg!

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Yeah, she got ripped off for about $2000 for her first "trust". Only just found out it was useless and company was out of business. After she lost so much in her first attempt I felt bad for her and tried to redo it myself. Didn't work out so well. :p Even if it's not perfect, it gives her some peace of mind, which is what matters to me. And my dad used Legal Zoom before he passed - made it really easy on my mom and I.

Oh, you poor, poor thing. Yes, you deserve another helping of pity for sure. :(

So, what's first on your "Tank Build To Do List"?

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chi - rocks. Gonna stick a bunch of crumbles together for shapes. Sad cause I had these dope rock lifts mocked up to 3d print, but the printer fell through. It's ok though, plenty other ways.
Free rock lifts!!!

Attachments

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not thinking that is going to hold much weight...
True, but I am making a huge mess with great stuff and cement as we speak. *giggles manaically* If all goes according to plan they won't be that heavy. If not I got a cutting board guy :dance:

I'll be following this thread. I'm starting to build my first Saltwater tank and am using my old 55g as well.
Welcome! We are gonna have so much fun!

Nice I'll be tagging along for this cool tank :)
Hi fishy!

let the games begin? you drilling the tank? better to build a stand when you have cash... nothing better than peace of mind especially when it concerns saltwater and electricity
It's tempered. What do you mean build a stand?

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rock. I squirted great stuff into a sand pile, and then I painted over it w/ loose cement. Then I dribbled diy rock on top. I can push down on it pretty hard. If I like the shapes, gonna go back and pack diy rock in the gaps like under this one where the base rock is

Attachments

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.