The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on the sump, I realized a problem... I can't get the water out. The hose doesn't have enough pressure to do a siphon, as the sump is too low. Anybody have ideas on how to get the water and detritus out?

·
Administrator
17,764 Posts
Exactly why I stopped using a sump......had to get on my hands and knees to work on them.....got too old for THAT. I wound up using my turkey baster to clean the sump out. Time consuming and a messy task. Hope someone else has come up with a better idea for you.
Hack

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
646 Posts
I am using a large plastic tote as a sump - about 40 gallons. I typically remove all the equipment and give it a good scrub in the laundry tub as needed. Then I scrub the inside of the sump with a brush. I use a plastic jug to bail most of the dirty water out afterwards. I will rinse it all down and wipe with a clean rag and again bail out what I can. If I really want it empty I will use a shop vac to suck up the last of it.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,402 Posts
Shop bac if you have one. Alwaygood having one when you have aquariums

·
Administrator
47,640 Posts
I second small powered to pump as much as possible then shop vac last of it

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,021 Posts
I always use a shop vac with a pipe and adapters jammed in the end to make the nozzel smaller, I think the pipe is 1/2 or 3/4. I use this to vac the bottom of the sump about once a year or so, and I also use it to empty the sump if needed.

After I'm done I always make sure to suck up some fresh water, wipe the inside down, and leave it apart until totally dry. My first one I didn't do this, just left nasty salt water in there and it rusted the motor bearings after a few years. I haven't had an issue with the new one that I take better care of.

Whiskey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts