The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the weather warming up (especially here in OR) I figure it would be a good time to tell ya'll what i have been doing on my tank to keep things cool. I know situations vary but if you don't have central AC then these ideas might help.

I always watch the weather forecast for the next day and if the temp will be climbing to within 5 degrees of my tank temp i initiate my cool down procedures.

first make sure it is cooler outside than in.
then unplug your heater in your tank.
Open all windows and put a fan blowing in on most but leave a few open with no fan, or a fan blowing out. you need to bring cold air in and push warm air out.

go to bed, wake up early 6-7AM and close all the windows and cover all of them (close curtains/blinds, etc...). set your tank lighting to come on at this time and then set it to turn off at Noon. have a fan blowing on the sump or even better on the top of the tank instead, this will blow the heat from your lights away from the tank as well.
since your heater is unplugged your tank will probably be in the low 70's, don't freak out, the lower temp means the further your water has to go to heat up.
If you have a small window AC unit throw it on powersaver and then close up all the rooms that don't need the cool air from it. the less volume of air the AC has to cool the more efficient it will be. make sure it is recirculating the air in the house not pulling the outside air in.

as the day goes on the tank will heat up but it should stay within a good range. you can either set your lighting timer or manually turn on your lights when you get home around 5-6 PM. then let the lights stay on until 11-12 midnight. that will give your kids the light cycle they need in 2 portions and help you manage the temp. if the next day is still warm... wait until the temp outside is lower than inside and start from the beginning.

Emergency cooling ideas are as follows...

1. Keep multiple 2-liter bottles of water frozen and float them in the sump.
2. Keep a bunch of RO ice cubes to throw in your tank
3. Throw a fan or 2 on your sump.
4. Allow your water level to drop a little further and then top-off the evap plus some from your cold RO unit/top-off bucket (it is a good idea to keep your RO storage container in a cool dark place for this)
5. Get a chiller, the pacific coast imports 1/10 HP chiller works great for temperature control on tanks up to 200gal! they are not priced to bad either look at $350-400 plus $30-50 for a pump if you need one.

I hope these suggestions help. try to keep the tank temp below 82 if you have coral/inverts or 84 if you only have fish. Remember that it is always better to drop the temp fast if it gets too hot rather that trying to do it slowly. the longer the temp stays high the more stressed your babies will be and the more you may lose.

I may not have covered everything... and this is all based on my experience. your comments and suggestions are welcome. stay cool :dance:

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
These are great suggestions!

Unfortunately.....if you live in Texas, you're stuck with buying a chiller!

HHC

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I love Florida! Was raised on the Texas Coast - -

HHC

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Oh I love Florida too, its just hot as ever here. BTW, I just got back from Dallas on Business, and I thought it was a very nice place.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Well good help Ryan, I think I like the chiller idea the best. LOL. No really temp is something we all have to deal with from time to time, I have too many tanks to place a chiller on them all, I have 2 chellers and want to get a few more. the ice biottle is a great way to lower temps, fans will drop temp a few degrees pretty fast. Good tread

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I know that corals can handle a large temp swing but are you exposing the fish to ich and other diseases?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Good ideas. I had to get a chiller as the summers here are brutal. It was 117 yesterday and thats not a unique day, rather average for this time of year.
Whole house fan in the early am to replace stale air with fresh and we keep the house at 72. The tank room will be cooled with the central air but I have alot of pumps and even with VHOs it needed the chiller. The fans will do a pretty good job of cooling things down too.

Robert

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fchidsey said:
I know that corals can handle a large temp swing but are you exposing the fish to ich and other diseases?
not with that small of a swing. remember that the ocean temp goes up and down each day and night. we are kinda simulating that... while we try an keep things cool.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
fchidsey said:
I'm kind of on the fence on this one too. That's a considerable temp swing. From low 70's in the morning to close to 80 by the day's end. Then back down over night? That's a heck of a swing.

I'm confused, cause I'd think that'd be a horrible environment for SPS's, but I've seen yours, and they're doing just fine.

Really unsure on this one.

And I doubt the temp swings in the wild are this big. Gotta keep in mind, that the reefs hold a HUGE volume of water. millions times as much as you have. Would take a LOT of coldness to cause much of a swing in that volume of water. A couple degrees a day I would believe. But close to a 10° swing? Call me a doubting Thomas.

Not saying you're wrong. But I am saying I'd like more info on that.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I just leave the fan on my tank My temp stay 78 all the time now. I don't run ac at night but do keep the fan running on the tank. I have been doing this for two weeks now and the temp never changes. Before adding the fan my temp would lower to 80 at night and then creep up to 84 by midday. I feel much better with it running at 78.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
motorslave said:
Good ideas. I had to get a chiller as the summers here are brutal. It was 117 yesterday and thats not a unique day, rather average for this time of year.

Robert
That's what we had here in Yuma!! where are you?
The only good thing is there is almost no humidity, the locals seem to think 15% humidity is bad, me, comming from the midwest where it can be 99% laught at 15%.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand your concern skeets... I only have my own experience with this. I have done this for years with all types of fish and coral. I even had a queen angel and a tang or 2 that showed no problems... while it may be a large volume of water, it is also a massive amount of light/heat during the day. when you take into account the cold water upswell from the deep ocean currents it is not so far fetched.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Ryan, is all this to avoid using a chiller? Are you not running one on your tank? After my 87+ degree scare the other day I'm really looking into a chiller although with my new fans my temp is MUCH better. Leaving the house for a few days would be real risky without a chiller IMO. Since I will be gone all next week I'm hoping to get one this week but I've asked Josh to watch my tank.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Still leery on this. But as they say, the proof is in the pudding. And your corals are doing really good from what I've seen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts