The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I changed over the 55 this past weekend (sorry no pics yet) and now I'm getting the dreaded brown diatom dusting. I'm guessing nows a good time for me to get a clean up crew to some extent right? How many hermits, etc should I get for my size tank?

·
Registered
585 Posts
if your water quality is good, yes now would be a good time to add.

Do you have any clean up crew at this time?

I would recommend if you get them at your LFS, add them a little at a time. A lot of stores will tell you you need to have this many of this, and this many of that, etc.

We would not do that at our store. What happens if you don't need that many? What happens if they run out of food cause you have too many.

We always recommended to get a few of this, a few of that, one of these, one of those. IF, you need more, than you can always get more.

We sold a lot of bumble bee snails...great little snails for cleaning the rock. Gets into all those small crevises that food and digitus (?) would hide. So, IMO this should be on your list.

Then, maybe add scarlett red leg hermits, asteria or mexican turbo snails.

I would alos recommend nassarius snails. They burrow in the sand and are great part of the clean up crew.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If this helps here's a list of my crew in my 55

5 margrita snails
5 bumblebee snails
4 blue legged hermits
4 red legged hermits
1 halloween hermit
1 missing emerald crab
1 turbo snail that is just living to prove a point to me
1 mag float

Thats all I have in mine and they seem to be able to do a good job.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I only have 2 pretty big turbos. I'm going to move my urchin back in there when I work uo the nerve to pull him out of my 10. ;)

I'm thinking I will add 5-8 Nassarius and some hermits if my wife allows it (they "creep" her out)

Also planning on getting a brittle star

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm most concerned with is the coloration of the sand. Read...my wife is gonna harass me about the sand being brown. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.