The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been up for a week and still cycling. I have 30 lbs of LR in it right now 55g tank but my largest piece of LR is turning white?? Is this something to be concerned with, or is it just a stage that it goes thru???

I am showing some signs of life in the tank, I have the birth of a small feather duster...

Just need a bit of reassurance...

G

·
calm down there bud....hehe yes usually coraline algae will die off in a cycle...but with proper care it will come back

·
Registered
340 Posts
You're fine. Some of the algae on the rock is probably dying off due to the cycle, was the rock purple and is now turning white?

Hang in there, this is barely the fun part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick replies...I was hoping it was nothing...It looks pretty bad with only the actnic on...complete newbie to salt...been doing FW for at least a decade...when I kill the actnic and use the daylight only, the same rock that is turning white has a bunch of small maroon protusions...Is that my coralline trying to come back??

·
Registered
340 Posts
A picture would help, but I suspect that the maroon protrusions are either algae or sponge.

Welcome to TRT!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually, after making the post, I went to a link I found in one of the other discussions and it is just a microorganism blooming...something like foraminiferans...it says they are no big deal...so I will just continue to watch in bewilderment as it all develops

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Just you wait. The fun is barely started. I think I find something new on a daily basis when I started then still 2 years later, I find things new on at least a weekly basis if not more.

Ray

·
Registered
290 Posts
I try not to look at night. I see way to much stuff I have no idea what it is. Very scary :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have noticed...no seriously, It seem like so far the only things growing are the foraminiferans, and several tiny feather dusters...

Tell me...is this a sign that my tank is doing well...I still need to add about another 50 lbs of live rock...I am not even thinking of fish or corals for at least 3 more months...or should I be looking further out??

I will also be moving the tank in about 7 months...

G

·
i dont know weather to play on this one or let it go......
are you still cycling...you can rip it out.....once your done cycling add a bunch of turbo and cerith snails..and astreas

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Hi Morpheus;

Are you running your skimmer? If you are, you should see most of the hairy stuff start to die back soon and what doesn't is for your clean up crew to munch on :)

More and more stuff is going to pop out on the rock as water conditions stabilze. Night viewing with a red flashlight has kept many a reefer up until the wee hours, lol.

Alice

·
Registered
340 Posts
Keep a journal, and in 6 weeks read what you wrote...you'll be amazed all over again.

Don't forget to repeat every six weeks...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not running a skimmer as of yet...I have not decided whether to go with a overflow and sump with the skimmer in there or an HOT ??? how long until the clean up crew can be added on the average???

·
Registered
852 Posts
morpheus1969 said:
how long until the clean up crew can be added on the average???
Wait until your ammonia, nitrites are zero. Then, when you have enough algae to feed the crew, pick up some snails and acclimatize them very slowly .

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how do you go about acclimatizing them slowly? sorry if it seems like a silly question. Also, what about crabs and the like??

·
Registered
852 Posts
Snails are tricky - don't like salinity, pH changes. I always buy a couple more than I think I'll need because I inevitably lose a couple. Some people have acclimatized for 4 hours or so. I just float the bag and add tank water very slowly over a period of a couple of hours. I also try to get the snails to attach at the water line so they go in or out of the water as they choose.

I'm not big on crabs of any kind. I've had them in a fowlr but don't want them in my reef (too opportunistic). Snails will do the same job- cerith snails will clean the glass and turn the sand, astreas or turbos eat algae on rocks and glass, nassarius eat leftover food. If your tank is minimun 4 ft. with a sandbed, a conch or cucumber will keep your sand looking really good.

HTH

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Mkelly said:
I try not to look at night. I see way to much stuff I have no idea what it is. Very scary :(
That is what I love about staring at night! :) :blob: :bigeek: :blob:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts