The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum for the last couple of months and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Chris Perzel. I live in Lakeville. I'm getting back into the reefkeeping hobby after about a 4 year hiatus. I'm currently in the planning stages of a new mixed reef tank. I have two tank dimensions that I'm trying to decide between depending on where the tank is going to be located:

48"LX30"WX24"H - Would be put length wise against wall.

36"LX30"WX24"H - Would be put width wise against wall.

Currently I'm thinking of having the aquarium built out of glass by either Miracles in Glass of Aquarium Obsessed. The front and sides would be Starphire glass. The top would either be eurobraced or posible "brick" style. The overflow would be built off the back of the aquarium. Also I'm thinking of having some type of box built into the tank to hide 2 Tunze Stream pumps. I'm also considering acrylic. I've read allot of positive things about Envision Acrylics. I also have been looking at a couple of local acrylic tank builders. Anyone have any expierience with Midwest Custom Aquariums or Reef Mania?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Welcome back Chris. When you get the tank up and running and looking for corals. Let me know things you want. I may be able to provide some from my tank(s).

I owe you for the good $$ deals in the past......

Even in just the last couple of years since you got out, there has been quite a bit of cool LPS stuff that just wasn't available. Hobby definately keeps changing....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I got out of reef keeping, I got into R/C helicopters . Thought that would be cheaper.:doh: Won't make that mistake again.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
David Grigor said:
I owe you for the good $$ deals in the past......
Me too. :)

I think Bob (reefmania) makes great stuff. Heck, he and Greg (former owner) made my whole system. If you go acrylic, he's the way to go.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking my first step towards setting up the new aquarium this weekend. I'm installing 3 - 20amp dedicated circuits. I have run dedicated circuits before for my old aquarium but this one is different. I need to run them thru 80 ft of finished wall and ceiling. No crawl space. :eek: Wish me luck. At least my wife will be out of town.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I picked up my 520 gallon (8' x 4' x 26" high) last week from Midwest Custom and it is GEORGEOUS. Both he and Bob from Reef Mania do excellent work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Resplendens said:
Steve77,

Did you have Midwest build you a stand also? Do you have any pictures of your aquarium?
I built the stand a few months ago. It's framed up in 2x4's and skinned in oak. I'll post a built thread in the near future with lots of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Steve77 said:
I built the stand a few months ago. It's framed up in 2x4's and skinned in oak. I'll post a built thread in the near future with lots of pics.
:bigeek: :eek: :thumbup: :agree: :drool: :cool:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nice tank, makes my 125 look like a 10 gallon. You know just today my cousin asked my if I was ready for a bigger tank. I just upgraded 4 months ago from a 55. Always want bigger and better, just like everything else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought I would give an update. Finished adding three dedicated 20amp circuits for the aquarium. What a PITA! I installed 6 - 20amp GFCI Leviton Hospital Grade receptacles Total of twelve plugs. Each 20amp circuit has two GFCI receptacles for a total of 4 plugs. Each GFCI is isolated so that if once GFCI receptacle trips the other GFCI receptacle on the circuit won't trip. I made a mock - up scale size of the aquarium, stand and hood to see how it will fit in our dining/family room. It looks pretty big. The tank dimensions are 36x36x24. May need to size down to either 36x30x24 or 36x24x24 for it to not dominate the room and to also keep my wife happy. I'll put some pictures up this weekend if anyone is interested.:beer:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Look at the sticky thread on the top. As you price out things I think you will find this tank is a great deal. I am sure Spazz and Bob would vouch for the quality of the work. Of course you could check out my over 30 tanks (not including some of the small utility ones) running here. It is a custom 120 ment to be flush against the wall (no pipes out the back).
And, all the money goes strait to next years speaker. Give it a look any how :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts