The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well after some time off, my plans have changed. Allowing me to start a new tank.

My plan is to have an energy (and cost) efficient tank (as much as possible). Here is my tentative equipment list.

tanks - 60gallon glass cube tank (24x24x24) on a 32-36inch stand with a 15" canopy.
Sump - tbd ( do like the eshopps advanced series, but it may be to long)
Lighting - a single 250w or 400w radium through either a lumenarc mini or sls lumenmax pendant
Return pump - eheim 1260 (600gph)
Protein skimmer - octopus nw110
circulation - 2 maxijet 900's with sureflow mod
calcium reactor - korallin 1502

I plan on at least 50lbs of fiji liverock and 60-80lbs of sand. I only want a couple of fish. I want this setup to be SPS/LPS dominated with a few zoanthids for ground cover.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome back Paul !!! Looks like a nice set-up!
When you get things cycled, just let us know if you want any frags...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hmm Idk how different cubes are from rectangular tanks, but I had two sureflows with mj400's in my 55 and I could only run 1 at a time. I took them both out and replaced with koralia's. In the end it's the same price.
2mj400-20
2 sureflow - 30

2 Koralia 2 -56

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I would agree that the koralia gives more bang for the buck. In Paul's case he would be comparing the sureflow to a koralia 3. Also you need need to figure in the cost of the mag mount.

The differences I see is a lower profile with the sureflow and a narrow flow pattern.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I have an Octopus recirc 110 that I will be selling soon if you are interested. I also have some of the frags you brought up to Rob's when you were getting out. Sunset monti and pink lemonade I think are the ones I ended up with. They grow pretty slow but you are welcome to a piece when you're ready.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Welcome back Paul! Wonderful to hear you're able to get back into the hobby you love so much.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

Jadinop,

I will have to figure out the sump (or where to get one built) before I commit to anything.

Mike and tsouth.

I actually have to sureflow mag mounts that were purchased for my two seios. Also, I have used a koralia inf the past. Not the biggest fan of their size and flow pattern, but I only tried the koralia 4. Are the koralia 3's alot smaller than the 4's?

I like the sureflow maximod kits if for no other reason than how complete they are. Heck they send two impellers with them now.

The only other options I am really looking at is two tunze 6055's and a multicontroller (or ac jr), but man they are pricey.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There is not much difference between the size of the 3 and 4. What I really love is my vortex. I plan on adding two more and pulling my 2 4's and one sureflow. BTW, my ac jr is one of the best investments I have made.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the vortec, but I am not sure if one would be enough to cover the whole tank. It would definately provide the flow!

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the tunze nano streams. Too bad they are so pricy for the controllable versions.

·
LFS
73 Posts
Nice to see you back. We need to have a frag party for you. I'm with Mike on the Vortech. I think one would be plenty of flow on 2 foot cube. Where are you getting the tank.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a manufacturer out of mississippi who builds tanks and delivers them throughout the southeast to retailers. I am not sure of the name, but I have seen his tanks at a couple of stores. The tank will not be starphire glass. But for a tank with less than 1/2" glass, there isn't supposed to be much of a difference anyway. The 24x24x24 drilled tank is actually less than ordering from glass cages. If that falls through, I may try to go through deepseaaquatics.

The vortech is the direction I may go in the future. I am working out the details of my plan and budget, so I may make some adjustments. So far, the only official change is adding a auto topoff (either a tunze or JBJ) and a dual solenoid valves to regulate water from the ro/di. If budgeting allows, I would like an acjr and a vortech.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone have any experience with radiums? I am leaning towards the 250w, but I am not sure if it would support acros at the bottom of the tank. Of course, the bottom would be at a depth of 20". If I don't go radiums, I may go with the reeflux 12k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts