The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D

Very nice! You're smart to isolate it to one rock, watch out for any free floaters that try to establish a new beachhead, as once they jump, keeping them under some sort of growth control just doesn't work... :eek:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tdwyatt said:
:D

Very nice! You're smart to isolate it to one rock, watch out for any free floaters that try to establish a new beachhead, as once they jump, keeping them under some sort of growth control just doesn't work... :eek:
I've got a floater on the other side of the tank, I tried to peel it off yesterday but it was stuck to the rock hard! i literally squeezed the guts out of the poor guy trying to release it, when i woke up this morning its back to its former glory :eek: this stuff is indestructable, i managed to peel the whole bit off the rock today thank god

Like you say Tom if i do not keep it to that one rock i'm in trouble

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twitterbait said:
Beware... the better that stuff does the more dissolved crud you have in your water column. make sure your only keeping softies in that tank.
This is my first marine so it is going to be softie/couple of lps tank, must admit with my setup there is always a lot of suspended detritus in the column

So is good xenia growth down to dirty tanks?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any comments about the brain positioning?
Been fine for a good 2 mths in that position, extending well at night but getting close to the xenia, will say the xenia is closed up for the night before the tenticles come out of the brain

·
11,345 Posts
Matt_b said:
This is my first marine so it is going to be softie/couple of lps tank, must admit with my setup there is always a lot of suspended detritus in the column

So is good xenia growth down to dirty tanks?
i think you have a typo in that question but ill answer what i think you are asking......

Xenia loves dirty tanks and will shrink until gone in a system that isnt a little dirty. When and if anybodys system gets more mature and running lean and mean with no excess nutrients in the water column, you need to give it away or move it to a nice semi-clean lps only system(that very last part is obviously personal opinion).........or watch it shrink to nothing

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
mine looks the same way, i cut it way back and attached some frags, and a week later it was right back to were it was.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fly Guy said:
i think you have a typo in that question but ill answer what i think you are asking......

Xenia loves dirty tanks and will shrink until gone in a system that isnt a little dirty. When and if anybodys system gets more mature and running lean and mean with no excess nutrients in the water column, you need to give it away or move it to a nice semi-clean lps only system(that very last part is obviously personal opinion).........or watch it shrink to nothing
Please explain where you think the typo was? i've re-read my post a few times and can't see where i went wrong? hope you post before i sleep tonight:)
I've always been proud of my 10%weekly Wc's and honestly thought my tank was one of the cleanest :confused:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I didn't like that spc. of xiena when I first started looking for soft corals but, I do now. They have a cool flow to them. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fly Guy said:

After reading the last few posts with a sober head :beer: i guess what you think is the typo is where i said i got suspended detritus and thinking i've got a clean tank?
Do more mature tanks produce less detritus?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorrry to reply to my own thread again but i can't get this dirty tank outa my head, I was proud of the growth of the xenia but now thinking my tank is not running as good as i thought :(
Yes there IS a lot of detritus floating in the water all the time, is this bad?

I really need to know as i can probably fix this with externals?

:help:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Matt_b said:
Sorrry to reply to my own thread again but i can't get this dirty tank outa my head, I was proud of the growth of the xenia but now thinking my tank is not running as good as i thought :(
Yes there IS a lot of detritus floating in the water all the time, is this bad?

I really need to know as i can probably fix this with externals?

:help:
DETRITUS FLOATING IN THE WATER COLUMN IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING... ...it will depend on what biotope you are attempting to duplicate in your system and the types of corals, other cnidarians, and misc filter-feeding invertibrates you are attempting to curate.

...having said that, it can be an indication that your skimmer is dirty, or that you have very active rock and sand, both of which just mean that you probably have enough current in the tank to keep things looking good and to suspend detritus, just that the skimmer may not be quite up to snuff for the amount of detritus everything there creates.

The issue with the water column and stony corals does not relate to suspended materials, rather the number and concentrations of alleopathic substances that end up in the water that the Xenia produce. This is how octocorals (softies) use their terpenes and other related chemical warfare substances to attempt to gain real estate on the reef from rapidly growing stony corals. These substances may slow or stop calcification and skeletalization in stony corals, and under the right (or wrong, depending on your POV) circumstances, may kill their competators. Xenia spp are quite capable of stunting stony coral growths, depending on proximity, rate of water changes, and correct and aggressive use of skimming and GAC. Xeniids are by no means the most aggressive of the soft corals, but they do have the potential to inflict much damage to the stonies. Keep this in mind for any of your stony corals (including your brains...) if they should fail to thrive or develope tissue loss issues or sudden disease symptoms.

HTH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts