The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay heres a question, we all aqua scape our tanks so the rock goes up. what if someone aquascaped it so instead of a rock wall it was scaped so the rocks went from side to side front to back, like a top of a reef. would this benifit the pod population as only a few spcies could get to em to eat em, now i dont think it would be harmful because any uneaten food would get eaten by the worms and other scavengers that live in the rocks. and it would open up alot of swimming room, you obviously wouldnt be able to keep as many corals becuase youd only have 1 surface area to cover *the top* instead of the wall with all the out cropings. the look might not be as cool looking but i think i huge pile of rocks that is quite level with a field of star pollyps or anemone's or zoanthids, or even shrooms would be cool looking.
now what would this do to your dsb. would it make it better or worse? obviosly it wouldnt get sifted because there would be no way to get things down to it to sift it. so would it still be functional even.
i hope i am making myself clear, because i know what i am trying to say, i dont know if it coming out as such. i just walked by my tank and thought it might look cool like that
any comments or critism is welcomed, as this is intended for disscussion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats not what i meant it to be for, i was just thinking of a way to optimally utilize the small space in my current 55 gal. i would think by doing this i would be. this would limit my choices with fish as i couldnt keep a golby cuz hed be stuck down in the rock so to speak, youd also need to put a small power head down there so no anerobic zones formed but i think it could be neat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like the idea. It would look cool if you could get something verticle maybe by a coral or a gorgonian, but then it might shade things beneath:confused:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Are saying have a vertical wall on both sides of your aquarium front to back with the middle wide open? You could get some Tonga branch table rock and place them at intervals up the vertical walls and not directly beneath each one as you go up and that way light would reach the bottom and you would have ledges to place your corals, etc. Sounds cool to me!:)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
most of the movement in the sand is not due to surface action, but rather due to minute jostling from the movement of the benthic creatures that live in the sandbed. Most of the truely effective systems have few or no sand sifters with the exception of Holothuria spp. of sand ingesting sea cucumbers. I currently use this method of liverock positioning in my prop system, as the sand still takes up 13 cm of the 40cm total depth of the water column (shallow but wide, 80 cm front to back). This is only temp tho, I am moving the rock to a new display tank once it is (finally) set up. with only LR in the sump.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
montana actuall i was thinking of it crossing the entire tank but nowthat you mention that, it might be really cool,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts