The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hail Purdue! Boiler up!
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was extremely bored tonight, so I decided to make a thread about my tank! Here are some pictures, most of them with descriptions (I hope).

Here I had no idea what I was doing. I was new to saltwater, and basically threw some things in my tank hoping it would work out. Needless to say, the anemone didn't last too long.

I bought these as my 2nd coral purchase. It's a group of what they called "Sand polyps" at MWC. I paid $15 for this little cluster and thought I was getting a great deal. Then I realized other hobbyists give frags this size away for free!! The next pic is the same group 7 months later.

I'd give some away if I could only figure out how to frag them!!

Day 1 of my tank. I was crazy. That TINY little thing in the upper right corner was my skimmer. I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Here are some pics of recent additions to my reef. The Blasto's are ones that Geoff brought back for me from the GRMAS swap(thank you!), and the Montipora I bought on Saturday from Brett (and thank you!)

And finally, here's a full tank shot. Sorry it's so dark. I'm still figuring out how to take full tank shots with the new HQI light. It's a lot different than with 2 PCF's sitting 3" above the top!

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Pretty cool... be careful when you do get to fragging palys and zoas.. they squirt a liquid that has toxins in it that is no good for you if it gets in your eyes or open wound on hands or arms... not to discourage you but making sure you're careful when you do frag... I'll post a link on fragging them as soon as I find it again..

You can always set a small rock next to them and wait for them to grow over it and then pull the rock off with the new polyps on it..

-Joe

·
Registered
168 Posts
yes palytoxins are nothing to sneeze at. There is no known antidote and have been known to kill small animals..... there was a link somewhere where someone's dog drank water that was used to house new frags in and the dog later died.....I have heard also of someone fragging zoas and then touching their hand to their mouth and their mouth going numb......

I would suggest that you use gloves if doing any cutting etc. The passive rock method is by far the best way to frag them......just put a small rubble piece beside it and they will grow over it in no time.....

I have a mess of green polyps on one rock I am trying to figure out how to cull....and cut back...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know it might be a little early, but, you might want to slowly drop your lights to say....4" off the water level.

Just a thought.

Did the candy cane make it?

I still owe you $10, and I could drop off another candy cane frag while I'm over there...

whirley

·
Hail Purdue! Boiler up!
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The candy cane is still alive, but failing. The other piece is still looking awesome though! I'm probably going to drop the lights a little more on saturday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts