The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to build the Geoff's skimmer but I have a mag5 instead of the mag7. How will this work,or not on the skimmer?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
should work fine. i would go with the 1/2" Kent venturi valve though. actually what i would do is plumb the entire inlet with 3/4" pipe except for where the venturi connects reduce this to 1/2". that way if you want to upgrade to the 3/4" venturi you could without much difficulty.

a Mag 5 pushes the 1/2" quite well. it just does not have the oomph to push the 3/4" venturi.

which version are you thinking about making? the one on the website or the one hidden in the archives?

i hope to have the ubber version figured out shortly. much more difficult to fabricate, but quite effective.

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have been looking to trade for a mag7 and I may have one next week.
Which skimmer is more eficient and which one is easier to build? I am not exactly Mr. Handyman, specially with plumbing. I have seen the one on your web site and I wanted to do that one.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there is a super simple version. i will try and hunt it down. it is not as efficient as the other, but much easier to build.

going from a Mag 5 to a Mag 7 is just getting the different impellor. the motor and volute are exactly the same. only the fins on the impellor are different. so you can spend something like $12 and get a Mag 7 impellor and upgrade your Mag 5.

the Mag 7 is bare minimum for pushing a 3/4" Kent venturi valve. it is still quite usefull, but i would not go below it, mainly for sanity sake in tuning the skimmer.

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This skimmer will go on a 55gal tank, will it be too much skimming on a tank this size?
I know your tank is a lot bigger than mine, any sugestions?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
goodness that thing is huge. it would be a bugger to tune though with such a high collection cup neck.

why would you want to make it recirculating? i think recirculating skimmers are just wasting water flow. i would rather have a higher total flow through the skimmer.

here is a thread with the simple version of the skimmer.

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was under the impresion that recirculating the water inside the skimmer will prolong the contac time therefore collecting more of the nasty stuff.
Is this true?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
contact time is important because of the tiny bubbles. the problem with recircs is that they increase the velocity of the water inside the skimmer. this does not allow the really tiny bubbles to make it to the top of the skimmer to be removed. they just keep going around and around untill they are ejected out of the skimmer outlet. the only around this would be to increase the size of the skimmer. instead of a 4" tube, go with a 6" tube. this will decrease the velocity of the water in the skimmer, alowing those smaller bubbles to evacuate the skimmer as skimmate.

i would rather process more water through the skimmer than process the same water over and over again. the bubbles are already small enough. recircing them will not really make them any smaller.

my .02,

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I am looking to build the simplified skimmer and I have a few questions:

1. Instead of the 4" quickcap, can I use a solid end cap? Is the quickcap for maintenance? I am afraid it will leak.

2. In my area there is only black PVC, is very thick, the white PVC is so thin it makes me nerveous to use it, I can deform the "T" by twisting it. Is this ok?

3. How do you make the top of it? Looks like a reducer from 4" to 3" then anotherone from 3" to 1.5" maybe? How tall does this need to be?

4. I am wondering is I could have the return pump split to feed the skimmer, I currently have a Quietone 4000 (1000gph) and a Quietone 5000(1300 gph)

5. What if I want the skimmer to drain in to the tank?

Thank you

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Little Luey said:
Ok, I am looking to build the simplified skimmer and I have a few questions:

1. Instead of the 4" quickcap, can I use a solid end cap? Is the quickcap for maintenance? I am afraid it will leak.
this is actually why i went with the rubber cap. it does not leak if tightened properly. i have tried knock out closet flanges, but they keep leaking at the knock out area. some people have had luck with these so it may be manufacturer difference problem. you can use a regular cap, but you will need to find a way to hold the skimmer upright. those caps are dommed.

Little Luey said:
2. In my area there is only black PVC, is very thick, the white PVC is so thin it makes me nerveous to use it, I can deform the "T" by twisting it. Is this ok?
sounds like you have schedule 26 PVC. i was using schedule 40 for everything. i am sure schedule 26 is strong enough for anything you will be pushing through the skimmer. i would use schedule 40 though if you can find it. this is what most of the places carry. it is just a bit easier to work with.

Little Luey said:
3. How do you make the top of it? Looks like a reducer from 4" to 3" then anotherone from 3" to 1.5" maybe? How tall does this need to be?
yes i used those two reducers. the skimmer can be as tall or as short as you need it to be.

Little Luey said:
4. I am wondering is I could have the return pump split to feed the skimmer, I currently have a Quietone 4000 (1000gph) and a Quietone 5000(1300 gph)
i would not recommend doing this with the pumps you have listed. you need all the back pressure you can get for the venturi. if you split the outlet than all of the water will want to take the easy road up to the return. those pumps are not very pressure rated so if you were to equalize the two you would seriously hinder the water to each.

Little Luey said:
5. What if I want the skimmer to drain in to the tank?

Thank you
that is exactly how i had it set up on the mantle it would drain directly into the tank. i had a heating/cooling area on the output, but for all intents and purposes it drained directly back into the display.

HTH, if you have any more questions please write again.

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I finally got the 3/4" Venturi so I should be ready to start putting stuff together.

How tall should the body of the skimmer be? (my tank is a 55gal) HD has the 4" diameter pipe already cut sections of 24" long, so I wanted to use one of them, then I read on another thread the original Geoff skimmer is almost 40" tall!! so now I am thinking about using 1-24" section and cut another one in half for another 12" and just use a coupler to joint them.
I will be using the black stuff after all since I don't have powertools to modify them anyways, I will be cutting the pipe with a hand saw (already tried cutting them and it does work). I really only need to do 1 cut, on the 24"long pipe; the rest will be the regular PVC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts