The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works on pretty basic principles; the pressure from the higher water forces the water to leave.

Think it can be DIYed? Im thinking with a curved piece of clear pipe (U thingy from the overflow) and a longer piece connected...

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Do note the colors on that commercial were edited in.
The problem is not only would you need lots of flow thru the sandbed (another nitrate trap?), the sandbed would probably need to be churned as well because the sand will just act like a big ole sponge filter. It's no different then a riverbed and how the substrate cleans the water flowing through it.

Add in an agitator with that concept and it sounds like a good plan.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't really do it- anyone else more DIY handy than me up to the challenge?

Besides, how would you prevent it from just sucking up sand?

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do think this concept has already been done before. Think of how a UG filter works.
A UG filter works via siphon; not water pressure!

Since Im going Bare Bottom (As soon as I can work out the final kinks such as how to mount the brain coral), this method may prove to be pretty useful. I can't start a siphon in my sump because it is on floor level, so just filling up the sump AND THEN using this may help out :)

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol the glass cup? Probably a fortune....... $.99 at the dollar store?

Geoff- when you siphon, do you trash the water/detritus (and replace, a mini water change) or siphon into a filter sock?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
A UG filter works via siphon; not water pressure!
water is simply added until the water level is above the tube which starts the siphon, stopping when the water has dropped low enough to break siphon, which would be at the level of the outside tube opening, or when a air hole to stop siphon is exposed. exactly like any of the herbie, durso, bean overflows minus the air hole.

here is a video showing all parts of the fishtank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ebPFhh1FNI

if you could create a settling area within the tank, much like having a conical settling tank with a false bottom, then you might be able to diy it, but in order to get the poop out the detritus would have to be concentrated in a small area. the other problem is you need to drill the tank to insert the u-tube to get the water level higher then then the u-tube to make it work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts