The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new generator has been sitting in my garage for too long waiting to be installed. Last weekend I installed the transfer switch and now it is time to move the generator to the crushed stone area outside my garage.

The generator housing has 4 holes on the bottom. I bought 2 - 3 foot, 1/2 inch gas pipes to use as axles, four 4 inch wheels and some hardware to attach the wheels to the pipe/axles.

How much weight can gas pipe support? The generator weighs 500 pounds - will the pipe support this much weight?

·
Registered
15 Posts
you would be better off with 2x4 on edge to make a dolli or did I miss under stand what you said
are the holes on side near the bottom if so how thick is the tin and is there a hem flange around the hole

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generator

The generator is actually on dollies right now but the wheels are too small and I wouldn't be able to easily remove the dolly after the move. I want to be able to wheel it right over the crushed stone then drop it so I keep the stone bed level. I figured using the method described above would allow me to wheel it over to the bed then quickly remove the axles, after blocking up the generator, then somehow???? removing the blocks???? Then again....maybe NOT:eek:

The holes are very close to the bottom. Not sure about the thickness or flange though...I'll look when I get home. I figured that the holes must be for straps, chains, or anything else to hoist the thing....but not sure that is their purpose???? Maybe I need to contact Generac????

I was also thinking of renting an engine block hoist from the local rental shop...not bad only $45 per day.

johnnygray said:
you would be better off with 2x4 on edge to make a dolli or did I miss under stand what you said
are the holes on side near the bottom if so how thick is the tin and is there a hem flange around the hole

·
Registered
15 Posts
well I'll tell you moving a motor around on a hoist is not fun or safe
If its on a dollie and its rough ground you can lay ply wood down and roll it to where it needs to be and slide it off on to the blocks thats what I have done in the past
OR WAIT INTEL THE NEXT METING I'M WILLING TO HELP

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Move

Ya, you are probably right...I can easily roll it over to the crushed stone. The problem is getting it off of the dolly onto the stones without messing up the stone bed (it's level now).

Is there a way to get it off of the dollies and onto the stones so that its final placement is level?

Thank you for offering your assistance at the next meeting.....I might take you up on it...

johnnygray said:
well I'll tell you moving a motor around on a hoist is not fun or safe
If its on a dollie and its rough ground you can lay ply wood down and roll it to where it needs to be and slide it off on to the blocks thats what I have done in the past
OR WAIT INTEL THE NEXT METING I'M WILLING TO HELP

·
Registered
15 Posts
just a 2x4 and pry each side
it helps if you lay 2x on the stone or on the blocks if you block it
I would use blocks it will give the case longer life[we get lots of snow]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts