The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, here it goes.

Just switched over from a 29g tank that ran for over a year, to a 40 breeder with a 20g sump. I moved about 20lbs of LR and about 10lbs of Live Sand to the new tank, and added about 30lbs of dry reefsaver rock from BulkReefSupply, and another 15 or so lbs of new Live Sand. My LFS (Ocean Devotion for anyone in MN) filled my system with aged water from one of the 250g display tanks, and I set it all up 7 days ago. 4 days ago, I moved my Marble Wrasse and Watchman Goby into the new tank, as well as my anemone and hammer coral. Everything in the tank is looking great, fish eat daily, coral looks better than ever and same with the anemone.

I have 2 (hopefully simple) questions: 1. There appears to be a small diatom bloom thats been slowly increasing in the past 3 days, and im wondering if im going thru a mini cycle. 2. I have a Marineland In-Sump skimmer rated for 100g in my sump right now, seems to be running ok, but not great. The level of bubble in the collection cup goes up and down a total of maybe 1 inch and i dont get a lot of dry skimmate like i would like to see. Is this because everything is new and theres not a lot of "stuff" going on in the tank?

Any insight is more than appreciated

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You stirred up the hidden nutients from your old tank and probably released some silicate from the old and the new sand. Also the use of "used" water could have contained some nutrients that are foreign to you system and the diatom is feeding on as well. It will pass, just have to wait it out. Kinda like the new tank uglies. You lost a bunch of your bacteria in the system by changing tanks, so it will take a bit before you see your skimmer perform the way it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok is there anything i have to watch out for as far as a "mini cycle" ? in theory, everything but the new dry rock has been aged/cycled

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Check for ammonia. Also since you are putting dry rock in you might want to check for phosphates. Some dry rock has been known to have phosphates and this will lead to more issues with the unwanted algae. The diatom issue you see now also can be feeding on phosphates. Like i mentioned you did loose a portion of your good bacteria when you swapped tanks, so chances are you will see some sort of cycle. Since you are seeing diatom you might have already past it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Water level and skimmers go hand in hand. If your water level falls within your sump this can/will affect your skimmer performance. Do you have an ATO?

·
Currently Tanked
343 Posts
Are you using an auto top off?
Edit: are you using an RODI? My mind said one thing and my keyboard said another.

·
Poseidon
560 Posts
It is more likely worse than a mini cycle as you having added new sand and dry rock also disturbing the cured rock and sand. Its basically like youve just setup the tank and bought some LR from the LFS to get the tank going. In a mini cycle you should not really see diatoms. Plus the change in tanks means you lost the majority of the bacteria you had that were on the walls of the old tank and equipment meaning there is now probely not enough to sustain your bioload in your new tank causing the cycle. I would test daily for ammonia, nitrite and phosphates, best of luck to your new tank tho! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and just a quick update, i believe it is day 12, and all of my fish are looking GREAT (thank god) and my nem and hammer coral also look great, it appears to me as if the diatom bloom has died off, but i am starting to notice more algae or something on the glass (not really brown like diatoms)

Skimmer seems to be performing better as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts