The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have been hobbyless for a few years due to a major job change and tons of business travel. So I am ready to return would like some opinions regarding changes since I left.

I am planning to do a 30Gallon AGA for my office. I have a 150W HQI pendand that I believe it is 20K. I am planning a bare bottom mushroom tank with live rock and likely two small clowns to add personality. In my last tank a true perc made his home under an elephant ear in a patch of purple Tonga mushrooms

So my questions are:

Any preferences for salt? Any new developements in the last 5 years?

Recommendations for a smallish skimmmer. I am fond of Tunze because of the quality but from what I hear the Remora is performing well.

Any comments on a refugium. I have no real desire as the tank is not drilled and I have a deep seated hatred for overflows.

Lastly, since it has been a while please feel free to just impart advice ans wisdom as you see fit. Thanks in advance. This board was a great resource in the past and I have no doubt it will be again.

John

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Welcome Back!!!
The corallife super skimmer gets pretty good reviews for it's price.
I hope it works well since I just got one :) May be a while before it's hooked up though

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Hi and welcome back! Since this is going to be at work, ease of maintainence is key! Keeping it simple would be the best bet. Remoras seem to be well liked and do a good job. With the small tank, a good skimmer and LR are all you need. Since its going to be a BB I would use a PH for flow to keep the poo suspended so the skimmer can get it. Water changes should be done religiously to keep it stable! Patience is the hardest and most important part to start!
Good luck and keep us posted with pics!

Robert

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Welcome back, John!! w00000000000000t!!!

There are several salts out there that work very well. What are you thinking for salt?

I don't think you can wrong with a Remora on a 30g, but that's not the only good choice. :)

Are you thinking of a HOB refugium, then?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used reef crystals for a few years and was happy but times change and I wanted to poll the people who know.

I will likely do a hang on refugia though I did one many years back that was sort of climbing the wall. The tank was on my desk and there were two refugia on bookshelves on the wall. They were DIY 24" long x 10" deep x 10" tall. They were staggered above the tank and the water flow went from the tank to the top refuge and then gravity fed to the lower one and finally back tot he tank. The top one had mangroves and a grow light in a recessed fixture pointing directly over it. It was a cool set-up. In hind sight I wish I took photos. I may have to redo the wall system just because it was A. extremely effective at breeding live food for the Mandarins and B. cool to look at.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
John I have the coral life and a remora. I like them both but the coralife is a little bit bulky, But it seems to pull a little bit more than the remora and its a good bit cheaper. And I have had lots of luck with kent salt.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Welcome back!

For salt, several brands are very good and widely used. I would say IO (or reef crystals if you prefer) or Tropic Marin are the 2 most popular in my area.

My only other comment would be that the lighting seems to be overkill if all you want to keep is mushrooms. You could get away with T5's, VHO's, or pc's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that to and do have options. I have an Ice Cap VHO wired for 2 bulbs around the basement somewhere and likely a coralife PC strip light as well. Once I place the tank, I'll have to see what spoace allows. I like the VHO's but without a hood they throw too much light out into the room for a professional office.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts