The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to look at my tank at night so I fugured I'd get some moon lights. I never realized how bright those things are. When I turned it on last night, my zoas started to open up - I guess they were fooled into thinking it was day time. Is that bad for the corals? Do they require a darkness or "sleep" period? This is a little off topic, but will corals grow faster if you keep them lit 24 hours? Anyway, I ended up mounting the lights on one end of the tank so that it wouldn't shine directly down on anything too intensely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not taking credit for this idea, but someone on here (forget who it was) took a black marker and coloured the moon lights to make them darker. I did this and it works good.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
WOW your lunars must be really bright - I have 4 lunars on my 135 and they are perfectly serene, not bright at all - - and the corals all go to sleep!

HHC

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think too much moonlight can be a bad thing, an dkeep your inhabitants from getting a good nights rest. As for moonlights themselves, I don;t think that there is any reason to have them other then the fact they look pretty.

Also Geoff really doesn't like them, and I have feeling he might posts his opinions on them shortly.
:)

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BGJ223 said:
Also Geoff really doesn't like them, and I have feeling he might posts his opinions on them shortly.
:)
Don't worry Geoff, I plan to leave them on for a few hours a night until I go to bed

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
there usually bright at first but they fade out quickly
i have the orbit with 4 moonlights and the satellite with 1 moonlight
the satellites is about 7months old and barely visible anymore
the orbit is brand new and mad bright.

i wish i can find a replacement bulb but i havent had any luck

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
pastina said:
there usually bright at first but they fade out quickly
i have the orbit with 4 moonlights and the satellite with 1 moonlight
the satellites is about 7months old and barely visible anymore
the orbit is brand new and mad bright.

i wish i can find a replacement bulb but i havent had any luck
You can find a replacement bulb for those. The only problem is that it involves some tinkering, and probably some soldering. It is hard to say what type of LED they are using for the moonlights, but based on description I would say it is probably a 1watt luxeon LED. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
pastina said:
yeah there so tiny it does look like a difficult task
From personal experience, they are not that hard to work with. If I can wire up over 100 LEDs in an attempt to make an aquarium LED fixture, and I am all thumbs, then I am sure you can do one bulb.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought LEDs were supposed to last forever since they have no filament?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
hng said:
I thought LEDs were supposed to last forever since they have no filament?
here is the scoop. They are rated to last up to 100,000 hrs, but that is in an optimal enviornment and voltage. Heat and voltage can greatly decrease the life expactancy of an LED. The typical LED runs at a voltage of 3.4 volts, but at that voltage it is only putting out about 75-80% of maximum output capabilities. If you bump the voltage up to 3.8 - 4.0 volts, then you are getting all the light that thing can put out. The catch is, that .6 difference in voltages decrease the life of the LED by more than 50%. Now if you have these LEDs in an array and you over power them, if one goes out then the resistance created by that LED is no longer there, so the next LED in the chain gets over powered even more.

Ok I am done being a geek for now

·
Registered
82 Posts
The purpose of moonlights is to simulate a full moon. They should be used only during a full moon period, 3 days before and after a full moon. The gravitational pull of a full moon stimulates spawning and reproduction. Having the moonlights on during the full moon phase helps promote the natural cycles. other than that moonlights really don't have a purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marella said:
other than that moonlights really don't have a purpose.
Sure they do, it lets me see what's going on in the tank at night :banana:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Marella said:
The gravitational pull of a full moon stimulates spawning and reproduction.
how is the gravitational pull of a full moon any different than other times? it has nothing to do with how close the moon is... its just the right angle of reflection for us to see the whole thing. im not trying to start a fight, its just this subject really intrests me and this is a new one to me.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
leveldrummer said:
how is the gravitational pull of a full moon any different than other times? it has nothing to do with how close the moon is... its just the right angle of reflection for us to see the whole thing. im not trying to start a fight, its just this subject really intrests me and this is a new one to me.
A little experiment, take something you know the weight of and weigh it when the moon is directly above, wait 12 hours (when the moon would be directly under you) and weigh it again. If your scale is accurate enough (depending on weight of object), you will actually see a difference. :)

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
wharyat said:
A little experiment, take something you know the weight of and weigh it when the moon is directly above, wait 12 hours (when the moon would be directly under you) and weigh it again. If your scale is accurate enough (depending on weight of object), you will actually see a difference. :)

Hmmm i will have to try this sometime.:agree: :agree:

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts