The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I re-did the gate valve on my Octopus NW-200 to have the actual valve before the vent stack. I don't know yet if this will fix the surging problem, but it is really noisy. I put a cap on the vent stack with a hole drilled in it to reduce the noise, but I am getting gugling, popping, and flushing sounds from the vent stack that I never had before.

Here is a picture, did I do something wrong? If not, any ideas for reducing the noise?

Attachments

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
looks good to me, stuff the top part of the vent pipe with cotton or filter floss and that will take care of the noise.

·
11,345 Posts
hmmmm..

dont know it looks right to me. its funny how little configuration changes cna create different things in seemingly similar set ups sometimes

Try this although it doesnt make sense to me it would need done...but it should fix your symptom

on that last 90 before it goes down int he water.....put a T there instead with a plug and a couple holes drilled into it.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fly, Thanks! It worked! I had an extra T, but I had to go buy the plug. Now, if the whole change stops the surging I will be in business! I also put cotton in the end of the vent stack, I don't mind anything that will make it quieter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It may help to trade the elbow and "T". I also agree to put a filter sponge or something in the vent.

·
11,345 Posts
Is it still surging?? becasue if it is then that whole gate valve mod you have set up there is defeating its own purpose. as every time it builds up pressure to surge it is varying the water level in the skimmer.

Again, I cant understand why it isnt working the way you had it set up before or after the last T (vent stack) you just added. There is something going on there disallowing free flow although I cant see it. I imagine its simple........:confused"

sponges or a filter shouldnt be necessary........but.......

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fly, I don't know yet if it is still surging. I'll withhold that for a few days and see how it goes. It's fine right now. It may be great - I'm expecting it to work. The T got rid of the noise, thanks.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian, It's 2 T's now, but that did the trick! I thought about just switching, but I had the extra T anyway, so I'm using both.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I have the same skimmer....
This is houw I have mine and it makes no noise...
when you "T" off the riser the gate shoud be horizontal not vertical like this....

I think the gurggeling your hearing is the air surging thru the gate, when horizontal the air goes up the riser and the water out the gate

·
11,345 Posts
I dont agree. website pic or not

if you have the line open(vent stack) before the gate valve can control it I think you lose a little bit of the control. Does it matter a ton?? It matters some. Ive played with more than a few skimmers with gate valve mods and have found I always want the gate valve before any venting can get a hold of it for complete control

I still cant understand why scoops needed another vent stack installed as before he added the second one it looked exactly like the last 3 I have set up on various skimmers......??

gremlins hiding in the pipe or something......

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amen! It still appears to be working! I don't really care what it looks like. Chris, I had mine set up exactly like that. but it started 'surging' at night and overflowed, so i moved it around and we'lll see what happens, right now it's looking good.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update, it's been a week and the mod change has worked great. I'm getting exactly the same amount of skimmate every day (about a cup) and there is no change in the levels in the skimmer, very consistent. It's not as quiet as before I re-did the gate valve, but it's not terrible. (Still sounds a little bit like a coffee pot percolating.) Getting the consistency from the skimmer is worth it.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I dont agree. website pic or not

if you have the line open(vent stack) before the gate valve can control it I think you lose a little bit of the control. Does it matter a ton?? It matters some. Ive played with more than a few skimmers with gate valve mods and have found I always want the gate valve before any venting can get a hold of it for complete control

I still cant understand why scoops needed another vent stack installed as before he added the second one it looked exactly like the last 3 I have set up on various skimmers......??

gremlins hiding in the pipe or something......
So what you are saying is for ultimate control the gate valve nees to be on the vertical pipe before the vent? I am just curious because I am having the same surging problem with my NW-200. It is modded like the picture posted above currently.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Might be other factors involved. I have my gate valve just like in the picture and I get steady skimming and no gurgling sounds.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Daniel, You can see how i re-did my gate valve configuration. So far it has been great! The surging was a real mess for a bunch of reasons - put bad skimmate back in the tank, spilled out over the edge of the sump, used up too much top-off water, ect. but the biggest issue was leaving the tank alone for a few days if we went out of town or on vac. Now I can leave it and know it won't overflow. It is a great relief. The noise is greatly reduced since I put in some cotton and added the second T. I would highly recommend making this change if you ave the surging issue.

·
11,345 Posts
So what you are saying is for ultimate control the gate valve nees to be on the vertical pipe before the vent? I am just curious because I am having the same surging problem with my NW-200. It is modded like the picture posted above currently.
not necessarily mounted vertically....but before the vent stack......yes IMO

If you are running a meshwheel vs a needlewheel this little bit fo extra control makes even more of a difference

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
a little OT but I want to mod my skimmer also... what size pipe and coupler did you all find will work, since the riser is metric?

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the mod kit from Marine Solutions and just cut off the riser pipe. It wasn't very hard to do. I think you can order the parts for a lot cheaper on your own, though. The pvc and the pipe are all 1.5". Just put a coupler right on top of the output tube where you cut off the pipe.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Thanks that is what size I though would work, but does the cou[pler just sortof "sit" on top of the cut riser tube... it doesn't really fit over it does it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts