The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm going to do a get valve mod this week end to my Octopus NW-200. I got this picture I'm going to use to copy the plumbing layout. My question is the valve is really high. Can I lower it to the sump water level? or just above. My sumps level is only about 6-8" and the vave is about 12-14" in the pic. I dont want all the water comming down creating more bubbles. I wil still run the riser pipe up to the collection cup.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
put a down pipe after the gate valve back into your sump

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Like Jason said.Add a piece of PVC to the 90 after the gate valve.You don't need to glue it in,just twist it in there!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
not to hijack or anything but can this same thing be done on a CSS 220?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
It will be fine. just put a 90 on the down-pipe, pointed away from the baffles. Mine drops 2.5' then makes a 90, goes 4', makes another 90 and then runs another 5' before making 2 more 90s and into the sump. And I don't have a bubble issue.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think people are overlooking the question. He asked if it could be lowered and it can and doesn't impact performance. The easiest fix is to just cut the riser pipe and lower the gate valve. Don't have to worry about extra tubes or the water falling so far and creating a lot of bubbles. I would just cut it.

Here is mine set up just like the first post but with the T much lower.

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
You can't really have the gate valve too low. You could have it too high on the other hand and end up in a situation where even with the valve open all the way the water level in your skimmer body would still be too high.

I have found the way I like it best is to actually put the riser after the gate valve. If it is after the valve it still allows air to escape but you don't have to worry about water backing up in it. Cap the riser and drill a small hole in it (like you would with a Durso standpipe) and it will eliminate the "toilet bowl flushing" sound as well. Here's a pic of my setup:

·
Registered
959 Posts
yep just put another peice of pvc on the bottom of the elbow and let the water exit below the water that way.

For the guy asking about the css skimmer,,,,

they already come with a built in gate valve no need to do one. But to technically answer the question yes you can do it to a CSS lol :)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
yep just put another peice of pvc on the bottom of the elbow and let the water exit below the water that way.

For the guy asking about the css skimmer,,,,

they already come with a built in gate valve no need to do one. But to technically answer the question yes you can do it to a CSS lol :)
Dito

1 - 14 of 14 Posts