The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of people recommend feeding garlic to their fish. What is the theory behind it, is it rich in a specific vitamin? Also, how do you feed it? Do you mince fresh cloves? Do you need to mix it into the food, or will they just eat it alone? Just curious. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I put garlic juice over my frozen food in a little container in the fridge every week. The garlic is supposed to increase their immune system. I have been very happy using garlic, as i have never used any medications. It is very pricey at the pet store, but you can get it at the grocery for much less.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! Do they actually sell it as juice, or do you have to juice it yourself somehow? I don't think I've ever noticed garlic juice before. Would that be in the produce section?

·
Registered
719 Posts
It should be by the spices. I am away for weekend, but I will look at the bottle when I gt back. I think it is called juice or extract maybe. How are things doing?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the stuff you gave me seems to be doing fairly well, Lori. The green tree guy is still putting out his brown polys and begging for food. The unattached hairy mushroom has been on the move ever since day 2... I've tried to put him back, but he just ends up loose again. Hopefully he'll find a spot he likes on his own. I've had some temeperature fluxuations I'm trying to fix with the little tank, but everyone seems to be hanging in there. I've got a fan blowing directly on the tank whenever the lights are on, but it still gets pretty hot in comparison to the cool down over night. The other day I nearly died when I saw it at 87 degrees. Ice bags were immediately employed. I had turned on the heat one night when it was cold and not put the air conditioner back on the next day. Not good. I had a little 50 watt heater to try to keep it at a regular temperature over night, but it didn't seem to be very reliable and would warm it up too much, no matter how low I set it. With that small amount of water it can really swing up and down. Everyone appears to be pulling through the fluctuations well. My carnation coral had perked up a little a couple days ago again and inflated & ate a bit, but it's back to looking shriveled again. Are you having any luck with that clipping in your tank?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would try to brace the loose hairy mushroom in a crevice and it will have a chance to attach better.

My little carnation keeps falling out of the whole I put it in. It doesn't look like anything yet, but I still think there is time for it. I have not seen the white polyps come out at all. Are you seeing that on yours?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they're more of a yellow color and they did come out for a few days after you visited, but now it's back to looking shriveled. I can't figure out what it needs... maybe it's the temperature fluxuation I had that made it go back to looking so bad. How do you know if it's dead? When it starts to deteriorate?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think it will turn almost mushy when it is beyond hope. mine is just hanging there at this point, but I am going to leave it alone awhile longer and see if anything happens.

·
Registered
719 Posts
oooh! Got up today and as tank lights came on I saw that the carnation had yellow polyps out of it!! I am feeling very hopeful now!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts