The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Iv seen these out for a while... Soooo.. i thought i would give them a try.. and they work very well.. for you out there in Reefers land who have some Maxi Jet 1200's laying around need some more flow to your Tanks.. i would say go for it!... and they are cheep... check them out! they come with the 1600 GPH prop, or the bigger 2000 GPH.. in the same kit.. get the ShureGrip magnetic holder when you do it.. i would not trust suction cups for this mod.

They ROCK, i havent put on the 2000 GPH Prop yet i dont think i will need it for my application. JMO
B~

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Looks cool. So, how much are they?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Brent, any idea what the output is after the mod? A 1200 is rated at 120gph, what is it after the mods?

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Do they work with a wavemaker?
From everything I've read, no. There is a mechanism that's supposed to keep the prop from going in reverse, but constant starting and stopping might wear it down prematurely or just outright damage it.

ODH...claims have been made that it will increase flow up to 10Xs, so in theory, you'd be getting almost 3,000 gph with the MJ1200.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet Brent. :thumbup:

Those things are surely king of the most bang for your buck when it comes to flow.

Out of curiosity...how wide is the jet coming ut of them after the mod?? Is it nice and wide as the outlet itself??
I would say 6" to 8" wide at about 10" from the nozzle. Im going to try the 2000 GPH Prop this weekend.. my other kit will be here today.. then the only pumps im going to have in my 75.. will be 2 # 4 Korillas and the 2 maxi 1200"s with the kit's and i think i have my flow done for that tank... Will see.
B~

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
You get 2 props with the kit... the black smaller prop they say 1600 GPH..
The white bigger prop up to 2000 GPH.
B~
Thank you. More questions now though :) Is it acting as an eductor and pulling more water through the front, or, is it actually pumping that 1600gph by itself? The cover has the slots and the round hole in the front of it. Is it pulling water in, or out, of the slots? I am asking because I looked at my maxi-jet 1200's and a maxi-jet 900 as potential CLS candidates on my nano tank. If it is an eductor style increased flow, then it wouldn't work for what I want to do with it. I would have to make my own eductors for the output. 1600gph is a little overkill for a CLS on a 12G tank though:nuts:

Then I started thinking about them for my 90G tank and let my nano rest in peace.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts